Non freezing waterers

Kelleysclucks

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
This will be our first winter with chickens and guineas. I would like to hear and see (if possible) how you all provide water in the winter. Currently we have a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the sides. The water level is controlled by a toilet float. It works very well. The chickens just pop their heads in a hole and get a drink. The holes at at their normal head level. The bucket is filled from a rain barrel outside the coop. Good for warm weather, but not when the weather temperatures are freezing.
Thank you.

I use an 8 gallon, galvanized waterer on a heat plate. ONly my 8 gallon one has rusted through on the bottom, so I will have to use the 5 gallon one this year and fill it twice a week.

We use a 5 gallon bucket, Horizontal nipples and a 250 watt stock tank heater. It keeps the bucket above freezing, but not hot.

Attachments

• 1600789684643.png
    1600789684643.png
    896.3 KB · Views: 5
My set up is the same as jreardon1918's except that I use an 11 gallon tote rather than the bucket. It needs filled less often. Has kept the water thawed down to the -20s F.

Those stock tank dicers have a built in thermostat. They turn on at 35 degrees and turn off at 40. That way you are only using electricity to keep the water thawed, not heating it more than needed.

Another note. I fill the bucket with a one gallon pitcher. Easier to carry, than dragging a hose or lifting 5 gallons.
I use one of those shrinking hoses to fill my waterer in winter. It is very lightweight. When I am done I turn off the water and the hose shrinks up to nearly nothing and I put it away. I am fortunate to have a faucet that is usable year round. It is in my well house.

I had to find a way to take care of my birds without having to go out too often in the winter. I am nearly 70. I can not afford to fall down with snow and ice on the ground when it is -20 F. As I get older it is harder and harder to stand back up. When there is too much snow or too cold I pay the young man across the street to feed and water my birds. With my set up I can go for a week or longer between having to feed and water. Not ideal, but the only way I can keep my chickens. Otherwise I would have to get new birds every spring and get rid of them before winter. The other choice is never getting birds again. I had spent 40 years wanting chickens but not being able to have them so not willing to give them up quite yet.

Back
Top Bottom