non-GMO for your chickens? Advice needed

stephs

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
In light of current research on the pitfalls of genetically-modifed ingredients and the fact that chicken feed contains mostly corn, I was wondering if any of you knew an optimal solution to feeding our hens, in flocks both large and small. I've been feeding our hens laying pellets and cracked corn, bought from the local hardware store in unmarked brown paper bags, and I have absolutely NO idea what's in either (well, besides the corn!)
tongue.png

...in case you were wondering what I most recently read on the subject:
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/utility/showArticle/?objectID=2989

Thanks! Any advice helps.

Use feeds (livestock and human food products) labeled 'organic'. The organic standards do not allow genetically modified ingredients or crop components.

Besides corn, avoid all soy products that are not labeled organic. Soy and corn production are at the top of the GMO (genetically modified organism) list. Last numbers I read were about 80% of the total US production of these two crops. Avoid processed and packaged foods....they're using GM corn and soy because it's cheapest.

And thanks for sharing that article, Stephs. I'm going to link to it from our farm website. I'm 'forever' trying to warn people about GMO's. This is scary stuff. We are only beginning to see the consequences. Don't be a guniea pig for Monsanto and the large US food producers. Avoid GMO's!

you would have to search and ask what kinds of feeds your feed company uses
there are not organic claimed feeds in some areas

it will take work on your part to find out the problems with your feed

Thank you! Locally, someone recommended a feed store that sells organic laying pellets made by Nutrena, and I picked some up on Friday. In addition, I read somewhere else about feeding the hens yogurt (they loved this!) and I also discovered that they practically inhale the fruit and vegetable pulp that my juicer spits out, not to mention all the apple cores, cantaloupe rinds, etc that I normally haul out to the compost pile--which, in itself, is a feat for the chickens. Someone else mentioned adding smashed garlic cloves to their drinking water, but I have'nt tried this yet. Another person recommended giving them apple cider vinegar---I can't remember the method, only that it boosts their immunity. And then there's the garden, with its lettuces and grubs and, well, there you have it: a chicken smorgasborg.

Unlabelled laying crumbles? Psha!

Back
Top Bottom