Non gmo no corn turkey food??

Kandrawhiz

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
What does everyone feed their turkeys? I am looking for a non gmo no corn no soy feed. I have an adult midget white hen and a bourbon red adult tom and they were always just fed flock raiser which i also fed the other 3 i had and we butchered. I bought some non gmo food that is milled up grains from natural farm feed but it is more like a powder form and my 2 turkeys won't eat it. I have tried sprinkling a little water on it to make it clumpy and put their meal worms in it. So for now they are getting a mix of the flockraiser 3/4 to 1/4 of the milled non gmo no corn no soy food. I want to make sure they have enough food thru inter and they are my spoiled kids. Anyway I was wondering if maybe some whole grain feed or cracked grain feed? They free range during the day and are locked up at night. I have 8 more midgets and 4 Narragansett babies coming the end of April which some will be butchered late November and sold snd i want to keep girls and maybe 1 more midget white Tom as i don't think my bourbon tom can breed my midgets due to size.. I really want to get them all on a non gmo no corn no soy feed. Any help would be much appreciated. I do like that they are on 20% protein going up a little more is ok but I don't want them on the 28%. Thanks again

What does everyone feed their turkeys? I am looking for a non gmo no corn no soy feed. I have an adult midget white hen and a bourbon red adult tom and they were always just fed flock raiser which i also fed the other 3 i had and we butchered. I bought some non gmo food that is milled up grains from natural farm feed but it is more like a powder form and my 2 turkeys won't eat it. I have tried sprinkling a little water on it to make it clumpy and put their meal worms in it. So for now they are getting a mix of the flockraiser 3/4 to 1/4 of the milled non gmo no corn no soy food. I want to make sure they have enough food thru inter and they are my spoiled kids. Anyway I was wondering if maybe some whole grain feed or cracked grain feed? They free range during the day and are locked up at night. I have 8 more midgets and 4 Narragansett babies coming the end of April which some will be butchered late November and sold and i want to keep girls and maybe 1 more midget white Tom as i don't think my bourbon tom can breed my midgets due to size.. I really want to get them all on a non gmo no corn no soy feed. Any help would be much appreciated. I do like that they are on 20% protein going up a little more is ok but I don't want them on the 28%. Thanks again
Turkey poults need the 28% protein turkey or game bird starter for a proper start in life. It isn't all about the protein but also the higher levels of l;ysine, methionine and niacin. The starter is recommended for the first 6 to 8 weeks. The next 6 weeks is recommended for a good turkey grower that is typically 24% protein. After those first 12 to 14 weeks it is okay to put them on adult feeds. An 18% to 20% flock raiser is a good choice.

Since you have switched to heritage turkeys, you will not need to be concerned with monster size turkeys. They will never get to the size that BB turkeys can grow to.

From what I have seen the non gmo feeds are not properly formulated for turkeys and for the most part are a scam..

I use
Turkey poults need the 28% protein turkey or game bird starter for a proper start in life. It isn't all about the protein but also the higher levels of l;ysine, methionine and niacin. The starter is recommended for the first 6 to 8 weeks. The next 6 weeks is recommended for a good turkey grower that is typically 24% protein. After those first 12 to 14 weeks it is okay to put them on adult feeds. An 18% to 20% flock raiser is a good choice.

Since you have switched to heritage turkeys, you will not need to be concerned with monster size turkeys. They will never get to the size that BB turkeys can grow to.

From what I have seen the non gmo feeds are not properly formulated for turkeys and for the most part are a scam..
The higher protein game starter on my pouts. Thank you so you are saying I should not be feeding a non gmo feed. A lot of people who buy turkeys from someone i know after butchered prefer the non gmo no corn no soy fed and free ranged. I did sell one of mine to them that was fed flock raiser for $3 less per pound but the only reason they did it was because my turkeys are free rnged and raised on a farm environment. My midget white hen is my baby she will never be butchered she actually is blind in one eye so I am always checking on her when she is in the yard free ranging. She loves people and cuddling my tom lives to follow us and be a part of but he doesn't like to be loved on lol. I just want them to be healthy and the ones I do decide to butchered I will keep some for us and the ones sold I want people to be happy with. I like the food I got from the natural farm but like I said it is more a powder for and my 2 kids don't eat it. So I thought maybe whole feed would be better? I even found a recipe where I could make my own but not sure if that us a good food for my kids. I am attaching the link https://rawsomedairy.com/homemade-poultry-feed-soy-free/

I use

The higher protein game starter on my pouts. Thank you so you are saying I should not be feeding a non gmo feed. A lot of people who buy turkeys from someone i know after butchered prefer the non gmo no corn no soy fed and free ranged. I did sell one of mine to them that was fed flock raiser for $3 less per pound but the only reason they did it was because my turkeys are free rnged and raised on a farm environment. My midget white hen is my baby she will never be butchered she actually is blind in one eye so I am always checking on her when she is in the yard free ranging. She loves people and cuddling my tom lives to follow us and be a part of but he doesn't like to be loved on lol. I just want them to be healthy and the ones I do decide to butchered I will keep some for us and the ones sold I want people to be happy with. I like the food I got from the natural farm but like I said it is more a powder for and my 2 kids don't eat it. So I thought maybe whole feed would be better? I even found a recipe where I could make my own but not sure if that us a good food for my kids. I am attaching the link https://rawsomedairy.com/homemade-poultry-feed-soy-free/
Also what do you feed? And do you butchered yours? I have a friend that butchers for me and we help process. I do know my 2 giant bb whites where super yummy. We smoked them one for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas but they had to be cut into sections as they would not fit in the smoker whole 🤣🤣

Also what do you feed? And do you butchered yours? I have a friend that butchers for me and we help process. I do know my 2 giant bb whites where super yummy. We smoked them one for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas but they had to be cut into sections as they would not fit in the smoker whole 🤣🤣
My adult turkeys get a 20% all flock with free choice oyster shell plus they are tree ranged during the day.

I try to sell the majority of mine as poults or as as sexed juveniles and occasionally an adult. When they don't sell live, I process any extras or any that I do not want anyone using as breeding stock.

This year I processed two heritage toms that were five months old. Their dressed weight was 10.5 lbs. each.

When I raised BBWs, they would dress at high 20 lbs. to mid 30 lbs. by 4 to 6 months old. They did get a lot of free range time which slowed their growth rate.

My adult turkeys get a 20% all flock with free choice oyster shell plus they are tree ranged during the day.

I try to sell the majority of mine as poults or as as sexed juveniles and occasionally an adult. When they don't sell live, I process any extras or any that I do not want anyone using as breeding stock.

This year I processed two heritage toms that were five months old. Their dressed weight was 10.5 lbs. each.

When I raised BBWs, they would dress at high 20 lbs. to mid 30 lbs. by 4 to 6 months old. They did get a lot of free range time which slowed their growth rate.
Can you tell me what brand food you use. That may be a good idea sell what I don't want to keep and butcher for myself. Hmmm now you got me thinking. I know they will come straight run so I pray for more girls then boys. Lol and last time I got 4 midget whites and only 1 survived the other 3 died within the first 3 days of bringing them home I even woke up every hour to dunk beaks in water with shiny marbles and I had a couple chicks in with them to help teach them. Hoping I have a better experience this time. Maybe I will just keep on the flock raiser and meal worms plus scraps and sell butchered for cheaper. Non gmo fed was going for $8 lb anyway I want to keep one midget tom with my girls as again I don't know if my bourbon red tom could breed my midget hens. I really only want 1 boy but not sure if that is possible. My midget hen is about 10 lbs maybe a little more now at 10 months old. And my boy chip is probably 18 or so lbs at about the same age. I guess my bb where's were almost 9 months old at butcher time

I don't know where you are located so the brand I use may not be available where you are. Purina Flock Raiser is a quality all flock type feed. I use Country Companion because I prefer pellets over crumbles.

Your Bourbon Red tom should be able to breed the Midget Whites.

I will check out that brand. Why do you prefer pellets. Right now I use Purina flock raiser now but in crumble. I live in Humptulios WA out in the pacific northwest near the coast

I will check out that brand. Why do you prefer pellets. Right now I use Purina flock raiser now but in crumble. I live in Humptulios WA out in the pacific northwest near the coast
I find less feed waste with pellets than I had with crumbles. Pellets that get knocked out of the feeder end up being picked up and eaten. A lot of the crumbles get knocked out and just lay there and get ignored. Nutritionally there is no difference between pellets and crumbles of the same brand.

Just joined snd saw this thread and thought I'd mention...my Tommy Boy and Vivienne will Dig through their scratch grain to get to the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds!! Oh Wow how Much they Love it! High in protein and and Excellent sprout starter..which they Really love 💜 Oh and my Basil plants 😂

Back
Top Bottom