Non- Integrated pullet

ChooksRfun

Chirping
Sep 9, 2018
Hi All, I have 1 sweet pullet, Speedy, hatched in winter alone (sole survivor.)
Started very slow exposure/ attempted integration to my small flock of 3 hens around May. They haven’t accepted her.
They chase her & sometimes get feathers. No blood.
She has her own non-winterized coop which she’s not using regularly. Has been found outside at 1am in a downpour, etc. Winters are harsh here. She’s got to be safe & warm.
She has no flock. She’s tolerated sometimes.
Any help would be appreciated.
I hope I can figure out how to follow/make a thread.
Thank-you fellow chicken lovers!

Attachments

• 6729F1C1-DCCE-4244-ABAE-B25461761754.jpeg
    6729F1C1-DCCE-4244-ABAE-B25461761754.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 12
There is only one run. 8’ x 25’.
I had a portion fenced off for Speedy for a few months & would then let her out with supervision.
One coop is 4’ x 4’, or slightly larger. It’s off the ground. One side opens for cleaning.
Speedy’s coop is very small, meant to be temporary only :(
2’ x 1.5’ I’d guess.
I can take pics when home.
I’m taking care of sick Mom now.
Thank-you!!

Well if you want her accepted your going to have to allow the entire process to happen. If only chasing and no blood shed leave her in with the others. They all know who she is but pecking order needs to be established before she will ever become a flock member. Don't be removing her daily and then putting her back in. It will take a few weeks possibly..

Well if you want her accepted your going to have to allow the entire process to happen. If only chasing and no blood shed leave her in with the others. They all know who she is but pecking order needs to be established before she will ever become a flock member. Don't be removing her daily and then putting her back in. It will take a few weeks possibly..

Unfortunately it’s been about 5 months (not weeks) and she’s not accepted.
She’s younger & on the bottom of the natural pecking order which is expected. While in the run she’s able to get away.
I do not remove her from the flock.
She has had her own coop however which she no longer uses. She effectively removes herself from the flock overnight. She is not using any shelter anymore. She stays outside exposed to rain etc. all night.

In the coop (with the flock of 3) there isn’t room for hay bales, hiding places, safety to get away.
I haven’t made the choice to close her in to see if she makes it out.
Do you think I should put her there? A risk I have not taken...
wish I had a big huge shed
My situation doesn’t allow for that.
Thank-you

Unfortunately it’s been about 5 months (not weeks) and she’s not accepted.
She’s younger & on the bottom of the natural pecking order which is expected. While in the run she’s able to get away.
I do not remove her from the flock.
She has had her own coop however which she no longer uses. She effectively removes herself from the flock overnight. She is not using any shelter anymore. She stays outside exposed to rain etc. all night.

In the coop (with the flock of 3) there isn’t room for hay bales, hiding places, safety to get away.
I haven’t made the choice to close her in to see if she makes it out.
Do you think I should put her there? A risk I have not taken...
wish I had a big huge shed
My situation doesn’t allow for that.
Thank-you
Toss her in and make this work or it never will. Or sell her if the Coop is too small?

Back
Top Bottom