non laying hens

gostlady6

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Hi this is my first post and I have a big question. I have 3 hens & 1 roo about 2 mths ago they quit laying and havent layed since. thie weather here is not that bad (east Tex) I have been giving them lay pellets and oyster shell but no eggs I even theaten them with the boiling pot and squeezing them with no luck. I have let them free range and cooped them still nothing. Any ideas???

gostlady6

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
No I dont think they are and they are only about 2 to 3 yrs old are they just getting to old???

wynedot55

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
id bet they are molting.you just cant see any lose of feathers.because they didnt lose their feathers.are the hens combs a bright blood red.or are they a pale red.bright red means they are laying or getting ready to lay.

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
Hi. Glad to see you posted as I know you'll get some good answers. I thought it might be molt.
And welcome to BYC but you'll find out it's addictive like chickens!.

Jacie

SpottedCrow

Flock Goddess
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Weymouth, Massachusetts
The first year that a hen lays is the most productive. It slows way down after the second year...unless you're an egg farm, they'll still keep laying...just not alot.
My Leghorn Obelisk will be 5 on Memorial Day and she'll lay from March to July when she moults.

gostlady6

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
I really dont think so cause I kept them penned for a few weeks and nothing. I did check there cones today and they are not dark red rather pale.

Barrett4

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Flovilla, Georgia
I have a couple of questions. My banny hen layed her first set of 2 eggs we found on Easter. Now as far as I know we haven't touched them or moved them but she won't sit on them. Is this first time hen jitters. Should I buy more hens to show her what to do? Any Ideas?

Top Bottom