non laying hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gostlady6, Mar 24, 2008.

1. gostlady6

gostlady6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Hi this is my first post and I have a big question. I have 3 hens & 1 roo about 2 mths ago they quit laying and havent layed since. thie weather here is not that bad (east Tex) I have been giving them lay pellets and oyster shell but no eggs I even theaten them with the boiling pot and squeezing them with no luck. I have let them free range and cooped them still nothing. Any ideas???

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!
    Are they molting maybe? They do quit laying when they molt (losing feathers to grow back new ones... lol).

3. gostlady6

Mar 23, 2008
    No I dont think they are and they are only about 2 to 3 yrs old are they just getting to old???

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    id bet they are molting.you just cant see any lose of feathers.because they didnt lose their feathers.are the hens combs a bright blood red.or are they a pale red.bright red means they are laying or getting ready to lay.

5. gostlady6

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks I will check that.

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Hi. Glad to see you posted as I know you'll get some good answers. I thought it might be molt.
    And welcome to BYC but you'll find out it's addictive like chickens!. [​IMG]
    Jacie

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The first year that a hen lays is the most productive. It slows way down after the second year...unless you're an egg farm, they'll still keep laying...just not alot.
    My Leghorn Obelisk will be 5 on Memorial Day and she'll lay from March to July when she moults.

8. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Is it possible they are hiding them? A few weeks ago someone found 70 eggs under a trailer.

9. gostlady6

Mar 23, 2008
    I really dont think so cause I kept them penned for a few weeks and nothing. I did check there cones today and they are not dark red rather pale.

10. Barrett4

Barrett4 New Egg

Mar 26, 2008
    Flovilla, Georgia
    I have a couple of questions. My banny hen layed her first set of 2 eggs we found on Easter. Now as far as I know we haven't touched them or moved them but she won't sit on them. Is this first time hen jitters. Should I buy more hens to show her what to do? Any Ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by