non medicated chick starter

Kari

Songster
14 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Massachusetts
I just got back from my local feed store, and I am confused. I tried to buy some non-medicated chick starter because all my babies that are coming next week are being vaccinated at the hatchery. Everything that I have read says that if you have your babies vaccinated, do not feed medicated chick starter. The people at the feed store said that they had never heard such a thing, and only carry medicated chick starter. What now? Any advice?

What did you have them vaccinated for?
If it was for Marek's, you can still feed medicated no problem.
If you had them vaccinated for coccidiosis, then you would need to feed non-medicated.

I got them vaccinated for both. Paranoid new mom i guess. I will check another feed store. Thanks for the advice!

Go ahead and buy the medicated chick starter. The shots from the hatchery won't interfere at all. The amprollium in the starter is such a small amount it doesn't PREVENT cocci, it just HELPS prevent it. Medicated chick starter from Purina is what I've used for many years on vaccinated and unvacicnated chicks. 1/8 teaspoon of LS-50 per gallon of water in the chicks waterers the first week of their life will take you a long way with the medicated chick starter. Cleanliness is the biggest killer of new chicks. CLEAN water, CLEAN feeders and a CLEAN brooder makes a BIG difference. I don't know how people say DON"T use medications with their baby chicks but wouldn't have EVEN thought about not getting good pre-delivery (vitamins) and post delivery medicines to children. I'm sure not comparing children to chickens but doesn't it stand to reason that a healthy chick makes a healthy grown chicken? lmo

I use my recipe from the feed store and have it made, its non medicated, If your chicks stay clean you don't need to worry about cocci. I use oxine in the water and thats it no other meds or anything. the oxine is for cleanliness, kills any bacteria and germs in the water.

the gamebird feed i used was before I started to have feed ground specialy

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Kari

I also had my chicks vaccinated for Coccidiosis. From what I've read, feeding the medicated starter will make the vaccine ineffective. It won't hurt the chicks, but its a waste of money to vaccinate them for coccidiosis and then feed medicated starter that keeps the chicks from developing the immunity to cocci from the vaccine. (I think what is happening is the vaccine allows either a weakened or a low concentration of cocci to grow in the intestines of the chick. The dose is so small the chick is able to develop immunity for if/when they are exposed to larger concentrations.

I was able to purchase non-medicated 20% chick starter at Tractor Supply Company. For me it was extra important not to use medicated feed because I'm using the same feed for some ducklings and goslings that I purchased (medicated feed is not good for them ).

History:
I've read that the Coccidiosis (a protozoa) has over time developed a resistance to some of the meds that are used to control/limit the growth of Coccidiosis within the chickens. If that trend continues, it is likely that more folks that raise chickens (especially commercial producers) will likely move to vaccinations and away from medication.

I agree with Bullwinkle. Medicated starter won't harm the chicks vaccinated for coccidiosis. It'll just be a waste of the cost of the vaccines.
I fed the medicated starter and had my chicks out scratching around in the dirt when they were two weeks old. Never had a problem with coccidiosis.

I change to the non medicated chick starter after the first bag. I just am not into medicating healthy animals. Purina makes a non-medicated starter I think its called "natural", the bad is still red and looks exactly the same except instead of saying medicated it says natural. Talk to the feed store they should be able to get it for you. I think that TSC carries non-medicated starter. Rural king only carries medicated.

Same thing happened to me ... I was told to get non-medicated food because of vaccines ... and the first store I went to told me there was no such thing. Very intimidating as a newbie! I went home and just called around to all the feed stores until I found one that said they carried non-medicated feed ... and they no one uses anything else. So I just think it takes a little shopping around until you find the right place to go.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom