Non-poly jersey giantXcubalaya makes polydactyl babies?

image0.jpg
image0.jpg
image1.jpg

Here's some of the babythings. they all have extra toes like that. Upon closer inspection, it looks like there's a few half-orpingtons, and one half-jersey. These would have been laid weeks ago obviously and that was when we had a breach in the fence that hens were going in and out of, so it makes sense that some of the eggs are from the black orpingtons, even if it's a blue jersey that's taking care of them now. (we have black-breasted red cubalayas, red pyle cubalayas, black orpingtons, and blue jersey giants)

So, since it seems we've got multiple mommas and one dad, and the babies all have polydactyly, that the polydactyl gene is coming from the cubalaya rooster?
That’s strange. As far as I know, extra toes are a dominant trait.

It's possible that the Cubalaya rooster carries the polydactyl gene without showing it. I got a gorgeous Cubalaya cockerel from a long time breeder that produced 50% plus visible polydactyl chicks. Based on that it's possible to be a carrier and not show a thing. I'm guessing it's coming from your Cubalaya rooster.

If it helps anyone, this is the dad (since it seems the polydactyly is coming from him, because chicks of different moms all have extra toes). He doesn’t have extra toes, but he DOES have multiple spurs on each leg, if those genes could be related.
View attachment 2797102
Multiple spurs and extra toes are not related to each other.

Back
Top Bottom