Non PVC Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dennymeyrand, Nov 3, 2013.

1. dennymeyrand

dennymeyrand Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    I am looking for feeder ideas that aren't the treadle type or PVC. I want something I can put a whole bag of feed in and that the chickens can't scratch or scoop the feed out onto the floor. My birds are wasting a lot of feed right now.

2. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Somewhere on these forums is an awesome feeder.. You cut the top off a bag and put the whole bag right in it and it gravity feeds out.. I made 2 feeders for my 2 coops with some scrap playwood and a 2x4.. I cut plywood around 30" wide and about 2 1/2 feet high.. Made another just a couple inches longer.. Put 2x4 between them the same length as the taller one so it made a box about 4 inches wide.. Then i just scrapped together a tray for the bottome where the shorter side it.. Mine each hold a 50# bag..

Search the forum for a thread called inventions.. There is a good one with multiple feeders

3. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    As for wasting a ton of feed, mine dont get a new bag of feed until they eat what they spill

4. dennymeyrand

dennymeyrand Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Can you post a link to the feeder you are referring to? I looked through the inventions pages and didn't find anything that I can use.

5. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    I dont know it offhand, havent went to that thread in like a year... Get creative.. I made mine on a whim.. Was about to put my skillsaw away and saw a sheet of plywood i hadnt put away yet.. I cut it just off center and threw 2x4 on each side and built a trey.. No pencil, no tapemeasure.. Took like an hour

6. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    JetDog here at BYC turned me on to these a couple months ago. They are the BEST and only cost about $3 to make.

Holds 25# of food, no poop gets in, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO waste!!!!!!! I guarantee it!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to the thread with all the info!!!

Make your own no waste 5 gallon bucket feeder for only $3 bucks.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by