Non roosting Chickens ???

Sunflower01

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Westminster, Maryland
New here. We just got our 20 week old laying Pulletts and the they don't know how to roost. We got them on Saturday and at dark all six huddle in the corner at night. For 4 days we have been going in after dark and putting them on their roost. The roost is about 3 1/2 ft off of the ground, a 2x4, 4 side up. They stay there all night and then hop down on the ladder laid against the roost board I put there to make it earier to get up and down. The roost is about a foot higher than their nest boxes. They hop up on the bar in front of their nest boxes but have not gone in them yet. We have physically put them in their boxes and I also put small white balls in there to encourage there curiosity. These are all tips I picked up from your forum. Should we just be more patient or do we just have dumb chickens? Maby I should move everything down to almost floor level? Some Wisdom Please..

No wisdom, but you're not alone.

Our original 4 do not roost, in the coop. They too all huddle on the floor at night. However, I know they can because they roost on the kid's swingset all day
wink.png
which is much higher than theirs in the coop.

But, we added 2 more and the newbies do roost at night.

After the addition of the other two, I have noticed that the original 4 do occasionally roost now.

I just wouldn't worry about it too much. They will figure it out on their own.

there young still and it takes them awhile to figure out chickens are suppose to roost at night.
My experience is that chickens not raised by a hen take longer to have the roost instinct kick in and I also find it breed specific too.
The older heritage type breeds roost sooner then the hybrid type birds.
They will eventually figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom