Non working freezer for feed storage

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
As more people think about storing larger quantities of feed, I think there may be a market for freezers and refrigerators that don't run. They provide better protection from rodents and insects than mist options.

Do you think so? How much might one, say a medium-large refrigerator, be worth? Assuming it is within a few miles from you.

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth trying to find buyers for them. My alternative is to sell them for scrap metal. That is easy for me - fork lift it into a massive dumpster in the driveway lto be picked up by the scrap yard.

As more people think about storing larger quantities of feed, I think there may be a market for freezers and refrigerators that don't run. They provide better protection from rodents and insects than mist options.

Do you think so? How much might one, say a medium-large refrigerator, be worth? Assuming it is within a few miles from you.

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth trying to find buyers for them. My alternative is to sell them for scrap metal. That is easy for me - fork lift it into a massive dumpster in the driveway lto be picked up by the scrap yard.
I got my mini refrigerator for free. I took it in to have the refrigerant removed then gutted the back so I could lay in down on the floor "bin" style. It works great.

I am ALSO fond of gutted refrigerator/freezers for feed storage and the like. Work great. Sometimes you can snag them for free (Craigslist), sometimes they pull a few $20s, depending on size. Local market dictates. Refrigerant disposal may be an issue depending on where you are, and if you have to gut them before sale. Honestly, with the current parts shortage, there may be a small market for those parts with a second hand/refurbishing store.

I would much rather they went to someone for feed storage but they will be scrapped. I'm simply not willing to give up the scrap price and gas/time to drive down to meet buyers where the freezers are to give them away.

Back
Top Bottom