none look alike!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by annanicole18, Apr 6, 2009.

1. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    well i now own 9 chicks 4 of which i'm sure what they are and the others are just confusing me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

he or she? acts like a roo very dominate. supposed to be a black sex link but have 3 others and 1 of the others looks very different who is below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm thinking this is a girl

[​IMG]

and just want to confirm this is a roo

thanks i'm a lil stumped on what to think of my 4 different black sexlinks from the same bunch... i have one more odd ball but dont have a picture yet

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Black sex-link males are barred. Females look black, with some red like those chicks of yours. You could very well have all black sex-links.

3. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    My two black sex link pullets both look very different. One of the pullets has LOTS of red feathering on her, almost half of her feathering I would say is red while my other girl is mostly black with the typical red feathering on the chest, and even that is light colored on her. It is my understanding that in the black sex links males are barred, so I would say your first pic is of a roo, the second chick you ask about I would imagine to be a pullet, and the 3rd chick I can't tell if the feathers look barred or if it is just the flash on the camera. From the research I have done on sex links since they are a hybrid/mix breed bird there can be a good amount of variation in the same group. Good luck!! My links are a ton of fun so far !! Hope you are enjoying yours as well !!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A BSL rooster looks very much like a Barred Rock, except for uneven barring, more silver in the hackles sometimes and on occasion, a solid green tail feather or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by