Nonstop crowing! Suggestions?

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
I love my 1 year old baby boy silkie but this week he has been crowing like crazyyy! He usually only crows for 30 minutes in the morning and doesn’t crow any more but I think with the warm weather he never shuts up. My only concern is I have new neighbors that I rather not disturb and I usually bring him indoors when he crows crazy. Any suggestions?

Before anyone suggests it I’m not willing to do a no crow collar. I’m just not comfortable restricting my boy’s neck in anyway possible.
IMG_3102.jpeg

Keeping him inside and bribing your neighbors with eggs are your only options. You can't train a chicken to be quiet unfortunately. Either they're quiet or they aren't, nothing you can do to change that

Keeping him inside and bribing your neighbors with eggs are your only options. You can't train a chicken to be quiet unfortunately. Either they're quiet or they aren't, nothing you can do to change that
I was just surprised by the sudden crow schedule change. Usually he only crows in the morning for as long as he’s been mature but now it’s nonstop and I’m not exactly sure what triggered it 🤔 this is my first rooster and I’m still trying to figure things out

A box in the garage, or eat him/sell him?

I used a crow collar for 3 years and it worked great. No problems.
He has his own little pen in our garage and also a chicken diaper for some indoor time. Also I’m vegetarian and way to attached to get rid of him now because of a little crowing lol but I was wondering about the crow collar I’m just wary because of all the huge warnings across the forum. 😖

It seems like some people have good fortune with them and others find their roosters dead randomly after using the collar. Do you think those people are just putting them on too tight?

Sometimes they are putting them on too tight, other times the rooster swallows something large and it gets stuck on the crow collar. It's risky but everyone's situation and personal risk tolerance is different

Sometimes they are putting them on too tight, other times the rooster swallows something large and it gets stuck on the crow collar. It's risky but everyone's situation and personal risk tolerance is different
The eating thing is definitely a concern. I am a college student and I also free range all my chickens. I can’t always regulate what they’re eating out in the grass. I’ll have to think it over!

I had chickens and roosters for over 20 years before I had a neighbor. The neighbor built my coop. Well the neighbor kept to himself and didn't say anything about crowing roosters, UNTIL I had a friend who was moving and she gave me a wonderful friendly black silky. He was little and black with one wayward tail feather that would tilt side to side when he would do a little dance. I could pick him up and cuddle him. His name was Peanut. The neighbor, of all my roosters complained about him...to the HOA (who never enforce anything.) But they did make it a rule to not have roosters. I had to give my lovely Peanut away.

Now I keep roosters until crowing age, because I love roosters. If I want to breed my hens, I do bring in a rooster for a time and give my neighbor a heads up. "rooster is sticking around just a few days." Sometimes I will put a crow collar on, or shut them in at night, and keep them in till 8, or more.

I currently just have baby roosters. And if I want fertile eggs I buy them from town.

I had chickens and roosters for over 20 years before I had a neighbor. The neighbor built my coop. Well the neighbor kept to himself and didn't say anything about crowing roosters, UNTIL I had a friend who was moving and she gave me a wonderful friendly black silky. He was little and black with one wayward tail feather that would tilt side to side when he would do a little dance. I could pick him up and cuddle him. His name was Peanut. The neighbor, of all my roosters complained about him...to the HOA (who never enforce anything.) But they did make it a rule to not have roosters. I had to give my lovely Peanut away.

Now I keep roosters until crowing age, because I love roosters. If I want to breed my hens, I do bring in a rooster for a time and give my neighbor a heads up. "rooster is sticking around just a few days." Sometimes I will put a crow collar on, or shut them in at night, and keep them in till 8, or more.

I currently just have baby roosters. And if I want fertile eggs I buy them from town.
Have you had any issues with crow collars??

I just put my baby in his sleeping crate with a sheet and the lights off he got quiet and I let him out, he crowed maybe 4 times and hasn’t anymore so hopefully he’ll be more quiet throughout the day.

The funny thing is we are not zoned for geese and my neighbor had a very loud goose named Greta who never got a single complaint about her so I’m starting to wonder if I should really worry that much 🤔

Back
Top Bottom