Nontraditional insulation- Anyone use it?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I think I'm going to do the straw/mud thing. I have an abundance of dirt since we're putting in a retaining wall. What's better to add, borax or lime- going to have to google that.

If you do a clay mix with the straw, there shouldt be a problem with mites and most of the time ppl use it so there never becomes a problem with moisture.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/Learn-To-Live-A-Self-Sufficient-Life.aspx
There is an article about a couple that moved to 40 acres and built everything themselves from the ground up. They were originally going to do a straw bale house, but decided on the clay/straw mix.
You may be able to find directions on the mix, R factor (I believe straw bale homes are R 42), etc......

Good luck!

I would think that using straw as insulation in a chicken coop is just creating a motel for all sorts of little critters: Mice, mite, lice and any other assortment of insects that would love to live in such a nice cozy place right near your chickens and their feed. I would not recommend it.

I read the post before mine and thought I would add in, have you ever heard of cob building? It is using straw, sand and clay (with water, of course) as the building medium. It has a great insulating factor, but it is because you have to make walls fairly thick. There is a book called The Handbuilt House. I actually went to a workshop 3-years ago and learned to do this and want to use this method one day to build something, but it won't be my chicken house, it would take me too long considering how big I would need it for all the chickens I have.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's why I'm leaning toward the clay/ straw mix. Add lime for insect repellents. Dries hard for rodent protection.

I used everything I could find to insulate my coop (cellulite, newspaper, Styrofoam). I say take your pick and roll with it. The cellulite was left over, and it went a long way. It's about $10 per bag. Have fun
caf.gif

I figured IF I insulated, which I've been told isn't a big issue where I'm at but IF... then I'd get styrofoam (put in an ad on freecycle and/or craigslist for people's old coolers that they only have the bottom OR lid too) tack those up and then put coroplast (corrugated plastic used for signs thus you can get a large sheet for $8 or so at a sign shop, OR talk to politicians after an election to grab their leftover signs!) over top to prevent birds from pecking it to popcorn.... then seal up with silicon maybe?

Don't know if that would work, as it's hypothetical, but it was an idear.

Quote:
i have seen packed straw used, it must be kept completely dry if used in the walls .....the other consideration is that straw is ideal bedding for mice. if styrofoam is left exposed the chickens will peck at it and eat it and this is not good for the chicks.

Hehe... mostly I liked the price.

But the coroplast is plastic, so wipe off is easy... and non-peckable... styrofoam is used for food and drinks... so using it for chickens just made sense.

I'd love to hear if anyone ever actually did it though.

Back
Top Bottom