Noo or

tomsgirl

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014
Thank goodness for BYC, we just moved into our house a month ago and our neighbor( with my husbands encouragement) gave us some baby chicks ! I had expressed wanting chickens but didn't expect to be tackling this project right away!! I think my biggest issue will be our dogs and keeping the chicks safe ! They seem to be feathered so will be introducing them to the coop today

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, dogs are a huge concern for most people when it comes to chickens. Here's a link you can check out on how to train your dog to be comfortable around them. http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/11/basic-chicken-etiquette-for-family-dog.html

Feel free to ask any questions. We'd love to help. Also, be sure to check out our learning center; lots of great stuff there!

Good luck introducing your chicks to their new home!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/advice-for-first-time-chicken-owners

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the new chicks! They can go outside at about 5 weeks old. Any time before this and they can not regulate their internal engines and can chill.

As for the dogs, most dogs see chickens as dinner, no matter how friendly the dog. So be VERY careful with the dogs. Every day there are started threads in our emergency section on how "my dog ate my chickens". So just be careful.

Enjoy all your new poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. I love this place! It's great for any info you may need.

I have 3 dogs and I have taught them to leave the chickens alone. My chicks are only 9 weeks old. When first introduced, my dogs looked at them like they would be something fun to play with. I could see it in their eyes. They were excited like when they get a new toy. I just snapped them out of it and calmed them down. I made them relax while they were around them even when the chickens were flapping around and getting excited. The key is to not let the dogs get excited around the chickens. Now they hang out in the yard together just fine and I don't have to worry. My 55 pound mutt is actually scared of them now. LOL! I was holding one of the chicks, he came up and sniffed her and she pecked his nose! He is very cautious around them now. Here is a pic of my "chicken" amongst the chickens. I made him sit and stay. I think he was praying the chickens wouldn't peck his feet.

Here is my Boston Terrier facing our cockerel. This dog was the one who I had to watch around the chicks. He wanted to grab them when they were first introduced. Now he's good and our cockerel is starting to get protective instincts with his flock. He was chasing the dog in this pic. Too bad we can't keep a rooster. Our neighbors wouldn't be too happy with the early morning wake ups.

welcome-byc.gif
Please keep the dogs and chickens well separated. You never hear of a chicken killing dogs but, sure hear a lot about dogs wiping out the owners flock.

Back
Top Bottom