Noob chicken owner trying to gender mixed breeds

Pics
How do you know?

Have they complained?

While there are plenty of stories about neighbors complaining, there are also stories of people who were terrified that neighbors would have problems with the roosters only to have the neighbor causally mention "I love the sound of your rooster. It reminds me of visiting grandpa's farm."
The house next door was recently sold and a new family moved in. We welcomed them by giving a dozen eggs. That’s when the husband explained why he bought this particular house. He had come with the agent to look at the house. He stepped out of his car just as my big boy, Albert, and my bantam, Henry, started crowing at each other. He turned to the agent and said “Sold. I’ll take it.” He hadn’t even walked into the house. He now has chickens and several roosters in his backyard. My roosters call back and forth with them.

Female chickens make some bloody awful noises which often surprise newbies. They think roosters are the only ones that make noise. Nope. Let Stormy stay with the flock so she doesn’t lose her pecking order. If she’s gone too long you may have to reintroduce her by putting her in a cage within the coop or run for about 2 weeks. A video of the sound of the crowing would be helpful. You may just have a noisier-than-usual hen. And she is a hen. As for neighbors, an occasional gift of fresh eggs makes them smile.

That’s when the husband explained why he bought this particular house. He had come with the agent to look at the house. He stepped out of his car just as my big boy, Albert, and my bantam, Henry, started crowing at each other. He turned to the agent and said “Sold. I’ll take it.”

On one of those polls about neighbors and chickens my "other" answer was "My neighbor's rooster is louder than mine. :D

There are a lot of people around who actually like the sound of a rooster crowing.

Back
Top Bottom