Noob in Vacaville, CA Ready to Keep Chickens!

G'Day from down under Phil :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one may be of particular interest:
Topic of the Week - Dogs and chickens

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

Excellent dog article, thanks for that!

A totally predator proofed coop and covered run would hopefully keep your birds safe.
And make it easier for neighbors to check up on them. It's a good idea also when dogs
are in the picture.

Predator proof coop is easy.

My dogs will be socialized by the time we get the birds. They really do not have any kind of prey drive, so this should be good.

Was going to 'free range' them in the yard and let them do their thing. If I Need a run I have an old dog run I can put in place and cover the top, but am wondering of really necessary. have spoken with 2 locals that say they have never had an issue with just a good coop.

Egg shaped welcome.jpg
Hi Phil!

The chickens will take the backyard down to dirt very quickly!

My wife has had chickens before and keeps telling me "how easy" it and and how they are "no trouble at all" and I am not convinced as yet, but I am open.

I like the idea or the little cluckers in the yard eating bugs and making eggs. Need to see how our dog will react to them. I THINK it would be easier getting chicks, and let them watch them grow and get to know them along the way. Anyone have experience with bringing chickens into a house with dogs? The only thing they really try and chase are squirrels. No game drive to speak of.

My other concern is who do we get to 'chicken sit' while we are away? We travel for weekends a few times a year, maybe a week once a year, and getting someone to feed our dogs is easy. Getting someone to feed & water the chickens and collect eggs is a whole other thing. How to you handle this?

Lastly, if there is anyone out there in my general area (Solano County, Northern California) I would love to have an egg buddy to talk with about the realities, etc.

Thank you all in advance for the amount of help and knowledge I plan on sucking out of you!!

Phil

I live in Vacaville. We have 4 chickens that have just started laying.
We started from chicks and kept them under a light till they were old enough
to withstand the temps.
I having found any info that chickens are legal in Vacaville...….all the info is for 2012.
Do you know if chickens can be kept in Vacaville?

Back
Top Bottom