Noob - Looking for space requirement info for hens

Quote:
The chickens won't care at all about the soil issue. They are amazingly good at digging up the ground so unless it's cement I doubt they'll have any trouble! They will also dig very attractive, large, deep holes for their dust bathing.
smile.png
Don't worry about making one for them, making their own will give them some good busy time which they'll enjoy. The size of your set up sounds very nice, I'm sure they'll be very happy there.

welcome-byc.gif

If you have not done so, you need to check to see what restrictions you might have on keeping chickens in city limits. A little knowledge could save you a lot of problems.

Will that be enough space? For three hens, it should be great. If you live where they are going to be severely restricted to going outside during the winter months, I'd suggest that time period when you have the 5 others there be during weather where they can get outside.

If they can get to your garden, they will probably cause you problems. They love to scratch in any mulch, plus any soft bare ground is a fair target. They will eat most tender plants when they are sprouting and many other plants. Mine really like red things, like ripe tomatoes and ripe sweet peppers. If you don't have it, I think you may need a fence to keep them out of the garden.

Good luck and welcome to the adventure.

Wow, thanks everyone. The bike forum is much more harsh on Noobs.
big_smile.png

Glad to know that I my size requirements are good. Hopefully they can dig behind that garage. We dumped all kinds of topsoil back there.

We need a new fence.
hmm.png

Then a coop. It all feels so daunting.

Back
Top Bottom