Noob - Looking for space requirement info for hens

Dirtyhip

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
The Cascades
Green to the forum. I am prepared to be hazed if that is how this works over here.

I live in the city limits. I am planning a small scale chicken coop. Their coop will be 4' x 8'. Their run will be 32' x 5' plus some extra around the coop area. Also, I will let them roam in the back yard now when I amout there.

Is this enough space for 3 hens and 5 "other" chickens. The others will only be around for 2 months or so. At max I would only have 8 chickens.

We converted our lawn to food garden. I was wondering if the chickens will eat sunflower seeds. I have dill, coriander, squash, sunflower (mammoth), tomato, peppers, beans. etc. I can keep the seeds to all the herbs and veggies. I bet they would like that.

Estimated time for pullets: Spring 2012

Quote:
Here is what "should" be done each chicken should have 4sq ft in coop 10 sq ft in run. so lets break this down;)

4 x 8 coop = 32 sq ft=8 birds
32 x 5 run = 160 sq ft = 16 birds outside only

This is the PERFECT space for 8 chickens comfortably:)
thumbsup.gif

My friend told me that the soil behund the garage isn't good for the chickens. She said they wouldn't be happy. The soil got a little compacted from the machinery running around. Our garage is less than 6 months old. I was going to till and bring in some topsoil for the back yard garden chicken area. Their coop is located under a large tree. Didn't want them to bake.

How do you do the dust bath area? Do you use diatomaeous earth? Do you put it in the coop?

welcome-byc.gif

On dustbathing... Chickens will pretty much create their own dust bath. I do sprinkle some DE in the run sometimes, but they just dig up a spot and then they all try to pile into the hole and the bathing begins.
smile.png

Quote:
I would not use De fully for a dust bath-to microscopically dusty and will get into their lungs and nasal passages really bad. I have sand and add De from time to time but it's amazing because they can make their own dust bathing spots out of just about anything!

Back
Top Bottom