Noob questions on homemade bator

Make sure your thermometers are correct. I now have 5 thermometers that i'm going to use all the same name brand and style..and one still seems 2* warmer than all the others read..well i have three side by side..one is off. My hygrometers one is 5% too high and one is 13% too high ..so.

Can you post pics I like seeing peoples inventions :) I love seeing the homemade ones maybe one day ill build one

Not much today in Manchester. You could join the Coventry group, but you can check to see what other towns/groups might have listed. Sometimes ppl. might not want stuff that you could use like: appliances, building mat'ls, chickens... OOPS! Well maybe not chickens, but you'll get the idea if you go to:http://freecycle.org
Now's about the time to start inkybating too, 28 days from now will be the 3rd week in March, right?
Springtime!
ya.gif

Got your wading pool? Good for the little hatchlings with shavings, heat lamp, waterer, etc... No square corners where they might pig-pile and suffocate each other.

Tom
cool.png

I definatly will. Any ideas on what Thermometer to trust? I have a llbean a walmart and an unknown brand one. Which one do I trust??? I am still having temperature issues. I cant get it and I dont know if to make it higher or lower because I get 3 different temps

congrats, how different are the readings?
if within a degree dont sweat it. dont sweat the humidity until day 18 imho, keep it at 40% thru day 18 then bump it up.

what type of thermostat are you using, hot water heater or wafer?

I tried hot water heater in my winehatcher worked ok, but I switched to wafer thermostat.

I like this posting video feature.

here ya go. maybe will give ya some ideas.

The difference varies from .2* to 4* i have 2 llbeans and they have been pretty simmilar and then the walmart has been off 3-4* Right now the two llbeans are off by the most. i got it to go to 98*-100.9 varying in that range is that ok? the its in the 100* for the most time. only to 98 when the light turns off.

thats pretty good man.

have you got any "heatsinks" in there? to hold the heat, like a couple sealed bottles of water if they will fit.

if you have an extra thermo which sounds like you have , maybe place a regular mercury cheapo in a shotglass or testube of water in the bator, the water wont change temp as fast as the air and give you a more accurate reading?

but sounds like you are zeroed in pretty good.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom