Noob

Brighton88

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2015
Lake County, Fl
Hello all! I am just in the research stage but hopefully will have chickens soon. I live in central Florida. I'm thinking I want to get a broody chicken and go a more natural route. Will be looking into organic feed that maybe I can make myself. Still have yet to build a coop. I'm nervous and excited about this journey!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I'd be sure to check out the Learning Center: Learning Center Articles

Also, if you have any specific questions, just ask! We'll be happy to help.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

If you're looking for information on organic feed, I suggest posting in the Feeding section for some good answers: Feeding & Watering Your Flock Also check out the Learning Center for lots of good information on all aspects of chicken raising: Learning Center Articles

I hope you can find answers to all of your questions! Good luck with your future flock.
smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

Research fodder. That will be a great option that you can do at home that is very thrifty too for organic feed. For broody hens, look at most bantam breeds. There are some larger breeds that go broody too like the Orpington, Australorp, and Cochins.

Since you live in a very warm climate, make sure you stick to breeds with a higher heat tolerance.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice and links for you from the above posters so I will just say "hi"
Good luck with your new chicken adventure. Hope you enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Make sure you do a lot of thorough research before keeping your chickens on a diet of homemade organic food. While the idea sounds appealing and cost effective, the reality of it is that most homemade chicken feeds simply do not meet all of a chicken's nutritional needs. Commercial feeds have been specially formulated after decades of study to meet those nutritional needs. Whatever you save in making your own feed, you could end up losing in health issues with your flock and drop off in egg production. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built and in getting your flock.

Back
Top Bottom