Noobie here in Central IN.

tmctlt

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
Avon,IN.
I just created my account after re-purposing our sons a frame playhouse I built for him many years ago (he's now 23) for starting our foray into chicken farming. I spent the day yesterday gutting out the interior and covering plywood floor with rubber membrane ( had it so why not ) to make clean out easier and then attached (5) 5 gallon buckets to wall to use for nesting buckets. I screwed wood blocking to the lower front edge to keep bedding in and give the birds something to land on before settling in. I also attached one (1) roosting rod @ about 24" out from buckets and @ close to same height. I am still in the process of getting everything I need before getting our birds, have done some research and am leaning toward Buff. Orps for sure but not certain on others that will fair well here in C. Indiana. Anyway just wanted to say hello and apologize upfront for the silly lot of questions I'll probably be posting for the Vets here. Hope everyone enjoyed their Easter Sunday

Paul

Hi :welcome Paul

Glad you could join the flock! That's great you can re purpose the play house for a chicken coop. I've not had any myself but there are lots of members who recomend the buff orpingtons. I may have to try some! Wishing you the very best of luck with getting your coop finished so you can start your chicken journey. No need to apologise for any questions, it's how we all learn. Be sure to ask any.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC, Paul. Glad you decided join our flock. Buff Orpingtons are a great breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and still have some BOs in my flock), and they are hardy, friendly and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and good layers of large brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in your preparations and in getting your BOs.

Welcome to BYC, Paul!
welcome-byc.gif

Glad you could join our "flock"! Sounds like you're making a nice coop. It is always good to build the coop and prepare before you get chicks. Many people make the mistake of buying chicks first, then rushing to get supplies together and construct housing. Much better to do it your way.
smile.png

I haven't kept Buff Opringtons personally, but they have a good reputation. Other breeds that I would suggest are Wyandottes (my personal favorite), Australorps, Easter Eggers, and Sussex. All of those are good layers with docile temperaments.

Good luck with your future flock of chickens!

You mentioned a roosting pole. Actually chickens preferred(we asked them) two by fours with the four side up. Chickens don't grab at the roost like parrots etc. They lay their feet flat and then lay on them to keep them warm. You don't want roosts above a nesting area unless you have poop trays under them. Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop (not including nests boxes and roosts.) and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Have you checked out the coops section. You might also want to read up on predators and controlling them by whatever means possible.
welcome-byc.gif

Thank You very much for the welcome!! I'm sure we will have MANY questions to pose once we're underway. I went out last eve to Tractor Supply and picked up a 20 gal. galv. steel trash can and aluminum scoop for feed storage as well as a clamp on heat lamp and bulbs. I also picked up a galvinized hanging feeder and a plastic one gallon hanging watering supply for inside the coop. I have a 5 gallon bucket with " chicken nipples " for the outdoor watering in the run once it's complete. We've been looking @ McMurrays Hatchery as they were referenced by friends, any reason we shouldn't order chicks through them? If not and based on their (15) minimum order we were gonna go with (2-3 ) of (5-6) varieties and will probably give a couple away as we don't have room for 15. The birds we have in mind are as follows: Black Australorps / Rhode Island Reds / Buff and White Orpingtons / Barred Rocks and perhaps a Wyandotte or two. Anyway once we decide and order which will probably be tonight....I'll update my post. Thanks EVERYONE for the Very Warm Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Paul ( Chickenoob )

Thank You very much for the welcome!! The birds we have in mind are as follows: Black Australorps / Rhode Island Reds / Buff and White Orpingtons / Barred Rocks and perhaps a Wyandotte or two. Anyway once we decide and order which will probably be tonight....I'll update my post. Thanks EVERYONE for the Very Warm Welcome!!!!!!!!!!
You're welcome. That's a nice mix, although be aware that Rhode Island Reds are sometimes aggressive. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (like Orpingtons), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. We'll look forward to your update. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom