Noobie waiting on first Egg Question

I don't know about feed as mine free-range for the vast majority of their food and get wheat and corn otherwise. 3 of my hens have started laying and they have all done the same thing, for days and days before the first egg they look around for a suitable place and you may find them poking around the nest boxes. When they get really close they start making a fuss a lot, wandering around anxiously and may do the egg song even if they haven't laid yet. Your girls looks of age to me, you can put fake eggs in their nest boxes to clue them in as to the proper location. I'd also look around for other nests too.

I also say cut out the scratch. They just don't need it and it may lower egg production. I would make sure you are using a good quality layer feed and limit goodies.
smile.png

The older ones are at an age to begin laying, so check for their eggs in strange places. The golf balls are a good idea, though some of ours lay on the roost, off the ramp, and in the run. Mostly they get the idea that the boxes are for them, but it can take a while. I think the first few eggs kind of seak up on them.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get an egg soon!

Quote:
You do not need to use cat or dog food. But it will help kick start those lasy layers as long as they are mature and not moulting. Most layer food is just not enough as it is the bare min need for survial but not too thrive well. Laying eggs takes alot out of a chicken and we expect them to do it every day. In this case more protien =s more eggs. There are alot of feeds out there that have the higher protien one easy one to find is purnia Flock Raiser. Check your yellow pages for local feed store and call and ask what they have in protien for there layer. You can also go to manuifacter site and do a search for a local dealer. By doing that i found a local dealer and he is the cheapest and best feed in town. It is a small semi local feed manufacter that only has a few stores here. it pays to check around.

When them combs "finger out" , and them wattles get as red as your roosters, then you'll get eggs. That's what happened with our Orpingtons any way. We waited and waited, on the 20th week, the 7th of September, we got our first.
30023_p9160002.jpg

Now we get too many,,,,,,,don't worry, feed right, and they'll come. They need the high protien layer mix, and I put two tblspns of ACV in a 3 gal waterer.

Last edited:
Okay so it is day two of adding in a one part cat food - and it is kind of hard for them and they werent successful eating it yesterday but it rained a little and got soft and they ate it up but - it was not mixed in with anything. I am not going to worry about them getting too much protein for now. I will keep you posted. One of my little SLW combs is getting really BIG and kind of fluffy today. My roosters too seems to have blossomed and gotton more inflated looking even from yesterday. I just spent 45 minutes rounding up the little clucks so I am not going out to take more photos today but if the trend continues, I will post newer photo's

Thanks everyone
Caroline
Jax FL

Wish me luck today taking the 2010 census supervisor exam today! Hopefully I will do well enough to not only get a JOB but a good position within the census bureau!!!!

cool.png

34919_first_egg_121609_011.jpg
[/img]

Here is the update: My Barred rock started laying. So far 3 eggs in 3 days
34919_collin_and_dec_09_i_006.jpg
[/img]

GLW - Still Freeloading
SLW - Kind of young but one has really red developed comb and the other is brightening.

Rooster - very proud of the girls! Likes hanging out with them!

Caroline
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom