NOOOOOO!!!! Adult RIR ate a whole block of styrofoam

I believe that in chicken-dom, styrofoam = popcorn.
roll.png

Kitty used to have a thick styrofoam kitty house outside. I say used to because that was before I had chickens.

I knew an elderly couple who swore that feeding styrofoam to the chickens will stop them from picking each other and fed it to thier chickens regularly. I never noticed any ill effects to thier chickens. Mine once ate a minnow bucket made of this material with no ill affects but I had to buy a new bait bucket. Plastic this time.

Last edited:
I had this happen with mine. Swallowed a whole packing peanut whole! I thought it was going to get stuck! She ended up being fine.

It was really funny looking back...it went something like this...

Petunia: "Ooooh! That looks delicious!" >grabs peanut<
Me: >Screams and grabs peanut<
barnie.gif

Petunia: >Screams louder and jumps up and grabs peanut out of my hand<
Me: >Grabs Petunia and tries to pry mouth open<
Petunia: >Swallows peanut whole and jumps down triumphantly
yippiechickie.gif

I have since given up.
idunno.gif
If she sees one, she goes nuts and grabs it and runs back and forth in front of me. LOL!
D.gif
wee.gif

Apparently it breaks down enough and passes without clogging anything up. That was my big concern.

Shelly

Quote:
Oh yeah! Chase 'em, and you may as well have stuffed the offending item down their idiot throats. Many times have I discretely, at least in my mind, followed around curious hens carrying dangerous items in their beaks. Apparently, this lot was once a dump, or was backfilled with dump dirt. I see them with glass, plastic, all manner of nasty. Unless it's string, I keep my cool, and wait for them to drop it. When it's string I chase them around.
he.gif

Quote:
I learned that lesson the hard way. I spotted Lilith with a piece of broken glass in her beak. I freaked and tried to grab it from her, which of course immediately prompted her to swallow. I was a basket case for a week worrying about her insides. She's fine.

Back
Top Bottom