Nope.

As an organic gardener and an avid local (fresh) food fan, I feed my chickens lots of different fresh foods -- all in their proper season, of course.

Some of the things my chooks eat in season include:

Fresh grass clippings and garden weeds of many different varieties, less than perfect quality lettuce leaves, the left over leaves from cabbage and broccoli plants after I harvest the heads for my family, the "lesser quality" strawberries from my garden, less than perfect watermelon, less than perfect cantaloupe, less than perfect squash and zucchini (also too huge zucchini), less than perfect peaches from the peach trees, less than perfect quality organic tomatoes, less than perfect miscellaneous other berries (blueberries, blackberries and red raspberries), chopped boiled eggs and raw milk.

With the exception of the raw milk and the blackberries -- which we get from a farmer friend -- everything else I listed, we grow here in our own suburban back yard.

In addition, we feed the chickens alfalfa (which we are forced to purchase) and wheat sprouts (from wheat berries we purchase at Whole Foods) during the winter.

Chickens will eat just about anything that comes out of the garden -- except for tomato, potato or eggplant leaves -- and they really do not mind if the fruits are not absolutely perfect in every way.

Just don't give them fresh grass clippings or weeds if you use a chemical fertilizer or other chemical treatments on your lawn, because they do not need to ingest that poison.

Last edited:
Quote:
In small amounts, I don't think you need to be too worried. I have thrown whole apples in for my chickens & have no clue if they ate the seeds or not. As long as they have plenty of other things to munch on, I don't think it will have any adverse reactions. Just keep an eye on them. But like I said, if it was only a few pecks, it should be ok.

Quote:
In small amounts, I don't think you need to be too worried. I have thrown whole apples in for my chickens & have no clue if they ate the seeds or not. As long as they have plenty of other things to munch on, I don't think it will have any adverse reactions. Just keep an eye on them. But like I said, if it was only a few pecks, it should be ok.

My chickens go for the apple seeds. they love them and go for them first, but only get them in small quantities.

When I was breaking up the tortila wraps and tossing them to the birds, My Silver Laced Wyandotte was running around picking up every piece and clucking and carrying it around in her mouth. lol. It was too funny.

Quote:
Chicken Keep-Away! Aren't they the silliest things?
lol.png

I'm feeling a little better now, thanks everyone for your responses. I figured they'd likely be just fine, but it made me nervous to see it on the "no" list.

They have been attacking everything we've been putting in their pen today. They pick everything clean and fight over everything, too. I suppose this is normal chicken behavior, but I'm new to this and getting used to what normal is for chickens.

Quote:
Chicken Keep-Away! Aren't they the silliest things?
lol.png

Yes they are. She is something else. I nudged her off her nest today because she was trying to stay on her egg and for the next 15-20 mins she ran around the yard clucking. I guess she was letting me have it! She cracks me up.

Hey all, I have 5 almost 6 week old chicks that have been eating boiled mashed eggs, broccoli, cooked mixed veggies, including potatoes.. everything so far has been cooked, except the dried meal worms.
My question is I have left over butternut squash from my garden last year that keep well in my basement, and are still good just getting a bit soft in the center we still eat them, but I would like to share some with my chickens, is it best to cook it or give it raw cut in half and can they eat the seeds too? Thanks in advance . Kim

Last edited:
Quote:
Butternut squash is very healthy for your chickens. Lots of vitamin A, which chickens need. It is especially beneficial when they are sick. I always have some chunked up in bags in the freezer.
I think they would eat it either way, but I usually cook mine up before giving it to them. I don't personally know, but I assume they will eat the seeds too.

Back
Top Bottom