Nor Cal chickens

SMCAchick

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
San Mateo
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My family (parents and grandparents) had chickens at various times when I was growing up in Idaho. I just didn't think it was really possible to have chickens in the city, until reading Made From Scratch. My husband told me to read it and then was a little shocked when I actually wanted to get them. I'm a former 4-Her and FFAer, but my experience is in hogs, not chickens. Hogs aren't allowed in the city limits!
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 4 chicks living in a cardboard box in the garage.
(3) What breeds do you have?
We have a Silver Wyandotte, a Plymouth Barred Rock, a Rhode Island Red, and an Ameraucana.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
It was listed in the back of Made From Scratch. Once I checked it out, I was addicted. I'm mostly a lurker. The coop pages have been invaluable!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like knitting, gardening, hiking, yoga, cooking, baking, canning, and trying to live a more sustainable lifestyle. We're trying to have our own little homestead in the city. We want the best of both worlds.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm a teacher, married to a teacher, with two small children (3 years and 9 months). We drive diesel cars, one of which has been converted to run on vegetable oil. The chicks are our only pets. We'll probably get a dog again when the kids are older.

welcome-byc.gif

Have fun here!

welcome-byc.gif
from WI.
thumbsup.gif
Not canning yet, not a teacher, no unfeathered, furless children but otherwise likeminded. City life does not allow for more than a few chickens, have a small vegetable garden. Regular car but try to ride my bike to work as much as possible, library and post office, grocery and coffeeshop are w/in walking distance....wish I could be more self sufficient, but this is beter than a few years back when I lived in a big city....

Back
Top Bottom