Nora's Chickens Newbi

noraschickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 25, 2009
just north of lagrange
Just a quick introduction. I'm fairly new to having chickens but am enjoying the process of learning. I have been bouncing around this site since the night I brought them home and finally decided to join
smile.png
I gained my flock from someone that needed to thin theirs. I have had them about 3 weeks. There are 6 hens and one rooster.

2 black minorca (5 years old)
1 buff orpington (2 years old)
1 cuckoo marans (1 year old)
2 buff orpinton/cuckoo marans crosses (3 years old)
and my rooster is a rhode island red/white leghorn cross. (8 months old)

The cuckoo maran has laid an egg every other day until a week ago when she stopped. I'm thinking that it has to do with the horrible storms we've been having. The previous owner seems to think that the black minorcas will no longer lay but that the other hens should start laying again come spring. He was a little surprised when he learned that the cuckoo marans was laying.

I work odd hours, but they seem to adjusted well to my schedule. They are happy with their coop (though it is still sorta still in it's thrown together quick stage) and I am currently experimenting with some of the feeder designs I've found here. Hopefully I will find something that works for us as feeding them 3 times a day is getting to be a bit of a challenge LOL.

I'm VERY new and will probably have a ton of questions eventually. Though, I have to admit that most of my questions have been answered by viewing posts here
smile.png
I do love this site!

Look! You and I hatched the same day, Nora. Go, us!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I don't have chickens and I don't know if I ever will, but I think it's so cool that you have a marans. Lucky! I bet you'll be a good chicken mamma.

Thanks for all the wonderful, warm welcomes! I'm really excited about my chickens. Yes they were already adults when I got them, so I can't cuddle them but they are getting used to me enough to allow me to pet them and they will eat scraps out of my hand. RooRoo greets me at the door to their coop everytime I enter. I have them in a dogrun that I converted. Chicken wire across the bottom half of the fence and across the top. They have a nesting "building" that I built from scraps in my carport and I will be picking up a roof and walls for the actual run this coming week. I do plan on letting them free range a bit in the future. But I want to wait until I finish the walls and roof (only closing in the back half) befor i let them run loose. Thinking of letting them out in the evening, about hour and half befor sun sent. I live way way out in the country and want to make sure that they aren't bothered by preditors, but still get a chance to wonder around some each day.

And please, I ask of all of you one small favor. If in my descriptions of things I am doing, you catch a major screw up that could hurt my babies, PLEASE let me know!!!! I have a bunch of ideas, but I am new to this and don't want to hurt them because of something I didn't know
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom