Norfolk Black Turkey cross-breeds?

Also to mention is one of my chicks from the 1st batch has a grey head and black body? Dunno if that says anything? I'm guessing it doesn't but it's interesting

Alright so 13 out of 14 chicks hatched 2 days ago (one pipped at the wrong end again). So this time i got 11 black, 1 bronze and 1 white. The coloured chicks came from the same mother who produced the other whites and bronze. The blacks aren't all pure breed either with maybe 6 which look like pure breeds. The 11 black came from the one who i thought was a pureB and the other hen who didn't have chicks in the first batch. The 1st batch is growing rapidly. The bronze and whites and blacks with orange spots on their heads are a lot bigger than my chicks who i think are pure breed. For me it makes sense since the mixes have the white and bronze genes in them which are rapid growers while Norfolk black and other heritage turkeys are slow growers.

Will try and get pics of course!
There are both white and bronze heritage turkeys. Both existed before they developed the broad breasted varieties.

There are both white and bronze heritage turkeys. Both existed before they developed the broad breasted varieties.

Yeah i heard, are they also rapid growers as chicks? They're a lot bigger? Hertiage breeds are slow growers from what i hear unless the heritage W and B are just fast growers in general.
The Bronze and Whites are all males too so it could explain them being bigger. Seen them struting when I put them outside.

Yeah i heard, are they also rapid growers as chicks? They're a lot bigger? Hertiage breeds are slow growers from what i hear unless the heritage W and B are just fast growers in general.
The Bronze and Whites are all males too so it could explain them being bigger. Seen them strutting when I put them outside.
It does not have anything to do with the fact that they are bronze and white. It may very well have to do with hybrid vigor. I had a Blue Slate/Royal Palm cross (Mottled Slate) that grew every bit as fast as the toms grew at least up until they were 6 months old.

It is possible since you really started with crosses that they may have the broad breasted genes but only time will tell.

They may well be toms but strutting at an early age is not proof positive that they are toms since there are people who have had female poults strut in the brooder.

My turkeys could have any cross of turkey in them. I don't mind it keeps it interesting but will try and keep the poults that look the most like the pure breeds and sell any that have any cross-breed looks. Marking the chicks who i think don't look pure breed.

The same for peacocks and peahens. They strut but also do a strange wing stretch over the other chicks. Is so funny to see :)

Size comparison with the white and the black( i do have a larger black chick though). 20180513_224355_HDR.jpg 20180513_224355_HDR.jpg
20180513_224355_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom