Normal? and what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SparksNV, Aug 9, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Very new to chickens - got 6 pullets on Friday. Now they seem to be settled down in their run/coop. The 2 older/bigger hens were being very agressive to each other. Flapping and raising their feathers on their necks and squawking and staring each other down. When one backs down, that one will go after the other hens. Is this just a dominance behavior - trying to determine who is queen hen? Will this behavior escalate?

Thanks...

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Yep, sounds like they are setting up pecking order.

Two thoughts:
    Are you sure the big ones are pullets? In my experience the big ones tend to be cockerels!
    If you add a read lamp or bulb to their coop, they should settle down dramatically. [​IMG]

3. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    The 6 pullets have 3 different hatch dates so maybe size difference is due to age? Rooster on all of them is a BO. The hens were EE and Delaware. The two bigger ones are the Delaware crosses. The gal I got them from is pretty sure they are pullets.

I have a puck light that I can use in the coop - so I should leave it on at night?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Once the pecking order has been established, things should settle down. Post some pictures to find out if all are really pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by