Normal behaviour for an indian runner duck?

Maxx57

Hatching
Feb 26, 2015
Hi everybody,

I'm just starting with ducks in my garden. For now, there are 2 indian runner duck (one drake) and one kaki campbell. They are around 9 and 11 months old. The kaki campbell layed one egg the day we bought her, around January th e15th, but she has not layed anymore. I'm not really worried about that, stress and winter won't last :).

But the drake is behaving strangely. He seems to be able to walk (and run) normally. But I find that he often lies down, compared to the females. At the beginning, he didn't act like that. Is it because he could be suffering from a sprain or something like that or is he just less stressed than before and feel conformtable to lie down as often as possible?

Thank you,
Max

When he does walk, does he favor one leg over the other? Is he eating and bathing normally? Any panting or neck craning?

When he walks, he does not favor one leg, but I feel that he is less skillful to climb small stairs (5cm high each). He's eating and bathing normally. I don't know what a duck panting looks like but it seems okay too. But you are right, he acts as if it was exhausting to walk. Sorry but I'm not sure I understand what 'neck craning' means. English is not my native language.

It is possible he is one of those ducks who had a higher need for B vitamins growing up. It is something many of us don't know about - in general ducklings need more B vitamins for their nerves to grow right.

Neck craning is when they twist their neck in an unusual way. It can also be related to B vitamin deficiency.

There are a number of things it could be - on the more serious side, he could have an internal infection running him down. Or he could have a mild muscle pull. Take a look at his vent - is his phallus (penis) all the way in? Some drakes get "phallus prostration" when their sexual equipment does not go all the way back into the body. So have a look at his rear end to make sure it is where it belongs.

I would give him time in a lukewarm tub of water - no soap - let him float around and paddle around and see if there is anything that looks, feels or smells or sounds unusual.

And I would start him on poultry vitamins once a week - it is okay for the others to have it, too. Try adding some brewer's yeast - not baking yeast, no not baking yeast - brewer's yeast it is a human supplement you would find in a pharmacy or drug store.

I love my Runners. Our drake is a Buff.

Thank you very much for your advices!

I did not observe any neck craning. I'm feeding them with complete pellets for chicken (the farmer told me he was feeding them with for years). But maybe it is too rich in protein for a drake?

I will try to catch him this saturday but I don't think it will be easy ^^, he's so distrutful when I'm moving less than 2 meters from him.

Could a video help you to know what is going on?

Yes a video would be good. If he has been eating layer food, it may be a little rough on his kidneys, but that is not extremely likely from what I have read.

Hi,

Here is a short video before the battery get discharged. Is he waling normally for you? He is the tallest and darkest
somad.gif
(with white feathers). I thought he was far more able to stand up this evening. Maybe he is a little favoring the left leg. If you guys don't see any serious problem, I will wait some days before catching him
wee.gif

0.jpg

Hi,

Here is a short video before the battery get discharged. Is he waling normally for you? He is the tallest and darkest
somad.gif
(with white feathers). I thought he was far more able to stand up this evening. Maybe he is a little favoring the left leg. If you guys don't see any serious problem, I will wait some days before catching him
wee.gif

0.jpg
Walking up steps can be difficult for ducks he may have slipped and pulled something although he seems to be walking okay. If you can get some good quality poultry vitamins though and add to their drinking water it can also help with stress and give a boost to the immune system. He sure is pretty and so are your girls. a ramp with a long incline to keep it from being to steep maybe better than steps. wide enough they can walk with out falling off the sides and wooden rungs for grip. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to BYC

Yep, you're right, I will add wooden ramp tomorrow! Pellets already contains vitamins... What kind of vitamins is good for ducks? Farmers around my place are giving garlic powder to them sometimes (once a month), but it seems quite controversed.

Anyway, this is a great forum, full of ideas and knowledge! I'm very happy to be here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom