Normal broody behavior?

I'm no expert here, but maybe dripping some sugar water into it's beak for energy? Very carefully, so as not to choke it.
This worked out great. I also rubbed the chick like vets on tv do for newborn puppies and kittens. I don’t know why but felt like it might help. I kept it warm in my hands since it’s 25F here and about ten minutes later the chick was calling for its mom. It then got up and started drinking on its own. I felt okay to leave it with its mom. If I had been any earlier I don’t think I would have noticed it and if I had been any later the chick would have been dead.

The silkie had been pooing in the nest and clumping up her feathers. This caused the feathers to get wrapped around the chicks neck. I cut them short around the silkies vent and got rid of the clumped up poo. This might have been how her first chick died.

This is her first time brooding and I don’t think she was leaving the nest as much as she should have been. I know I didn’t kick her off the nest every day. I’m afraid if I do that it’ll break them.

Back
Top Bottom