Normal chicken behavior or not?

Feed everyone an All Flock ration with a separate bowl of oyster shells. The higher protein will be good for your roosters. I don't give mealworms. I do throw out scratch daily to give my birds stuff to peck and scratch at. Perches can help.

I've had health problems for a while too. Chickens get me up and going in the morning, and keep me busy and my mind occupied.
Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely see if this helps. If my Wyandotte keeps at it with her antics, should I just leave them alone to sort them out, or do you think I should try and separate them? I am going to try to make a shorter bigger space just off of the bigger pen this weekend if my body will let me, but I don' need a chickens eye getting pecked out in the mean time, ya know? Haha

If you add some perches and places for a bird to escape it may help. Adding tables, a pallet against a wall, and things to break up line of sight. Enlarging the run should help too.

If you see excessive pecking you can remove the aggressor, maybe put her in a fenced off area, or crate for a bit. I generally let birds work stuff out as long as no blood is being drawn.

If thing continue to be bad you can look into pinless peepers as a temporary solution.

If you add some perches and places for a bird to escape it may help. Adding tables, a pallet against a wall, and things to break up line of sight. Enlarging the run should help too.

If you see excessive pecking you can remove the aggressor, maybe put her in a fenced off area, or crate for a bit. I generally let birds work stuff out as long as no blood is being drawn.

If thing continue to be bad you can look into pinless peepers as a temporary solution.
Okay, I will do that. Thank you so much. You have been such a big help. I am so new to this. I feel like such a bad chicken mom. I should have done a lot more research, and I thought I had done a lot before I got them. Goodness.

Okay, I will do that. Thank you so much. You have been such a big help. I am so new to this. I feel like such a bad chicken mom. I should have done a lot more research, and I thought I had done a lot before I got them. Goodness.
I learned lots of stuff the hard way myself, so I understand what you are going through. You will get it figured out I'm sure. Most stuff with chickens gets learned by trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom