Normal Chicken owner behavior??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ruth Ann, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Is it normal for first time chicken owners to be so worried about their
    chickens?? I worry mine are to cold...I worry their little feet are cold in the snow..
    I worry they want a different type bread than
    what we give them...LOL
    I feel the urge to knit little chicken socks...
    The other day when it snowed I put out a pan of warm water
    for them to warm their feet.[​IMG]
    Then someone told me that was bad for the chickens.
    But I did set a few of the chickens in the warm water and they stood in it for a few mins.

2. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    It's all normal but it subsides with time. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

< pat pat pat>. There, there, it's okay. You aren't alone. If you get a good pattern for chicken socks, can you share it?

Every time I put chicks out for their first full overnight in a coop, I worry all night. I've been worrying about the poor muddy youngsters, because they aren't as tall as the grown-up chickens so they are much muddier in this rain. All the chickens drink from mud puddles in the mucky run, when I have clean waterers out for them - makes me nuts.

They're coop hopping (I have 8 coops) and I wonder why they are moving around like that, are they having school yard bullying problems? Is somebody picking on somebody else? Name calling? Ridiculing? Who isn't being nice to the others? Wait, have *I* neglected some aspect of coop maintenance and that's why some are choosing to roost somewhere else?

Yah, you're not all that unusual. [​IMG]

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Yeah, that's right....it subsides with time. This morning I made a huge bowl of oatmeal that I added yogurt to and then added scratch and BOSS and some bread that was getting stale. All because it was cold and I wanted them to have something warm in their tummies! It subsides.....someday.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Oh heck ...ya just got chicken fever, it makes us delirious.

You will be fine once the fever breaks or ya end up with a flock like mine [​IMG]

I haz no cure [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I object to the term:

NORMAL CHICKEN OWNER

Is there such a thing ??? [​IMG]

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby &amp; farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Well, normal is a balanced mind subject to excessive logic and highly organized. I turned my life over to almost 500 farm critters years ago, they take the money, time,logic, my schedule and mind and I don't mind at all...no pun intended.....LOLjavascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');
    javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');
    I haven't met many "normal" poultry lovers here on BYC, cause if they are, they don't stay long or they catch the "fever" from the rest of us..... We baby our animals and I'm proud of it!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You know Zazouse, I need to save that pic. As part of my defense when I tell DH..."see! At least I'm not that crazy!!" [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  9. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I hear what you are saying. This initial post could have been written by me! I'd like that sock pattern, too. [​IMG]

Quote:

10. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Quote:Your feed bill makes me faint just looking at that image! Do you have an inventory of everything you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by