Normal cockerel behavior?

Makes Sense. The hens he’s had success with are the same ones that squat when I look at them funny. The ones chasing him off are actually the two lowest in the pecking order of my hens. If he tries to get on a pullet they’ll actually knock him off then go after the pullet.

That is typical pecking order behavior. The older hens are in effect protecting their prerogatives earned as the highest ranking hens in the flock. Very often a situation develops where a couple of cockerels or even adult roosters will pull a rival off of a hen before the hen and rooster can finish the sex act. This will often result in infertile eggs.

As long as no one is being hurt, I would tend to let them work out their pecking order. He will have to assert his dominance as the head of the flock at some point in order to be a good protector and provider. IMHO However you must do what you feel is in the best interest of your flock. Good luck

Thanks everyone. When I pulled in the driveway from work he was hanging out with the older ladies Instead of harassing the pullets, maybe he’s figuring it out. Really hoping he turns out ok. My daughter was heartbroken when are last rooster “went to the farm” in the middle of the night....

That all sounds very normal. Chicken society can be really complicated, especially when you are dealing with adolescents. That cockerels hormones are running pretty strong, telling him to become the dominant chicken and take over the flock. At his age the mating act is more about dominance than sex. The one on bottom is accepting the dominance of the one on top, either willingly or by force.

The pullets are still too immature to understand their part so hey try to run away. It's not that he is trying to breed them to fertilize eggs, he's trying to become dominant over them by force. Some adult hens will squat for practically anything in spurs but others are more discerning. They want a male to show that he will be a good father for their chicks before he is allowed liberties. The dominant hen will not stand for anyone, especially an immature brat, showing dominance in front of her so she knocks him off when he is trying to mate another hen, even if that hen is willing.

That's not only normal cockerel behavior that is normal pullet and hen behavior.
I’m so glad I read this thread.
My 4 month old cockerel tries to mate my 4 adult hens and most of them do this.
They kick him off the hen he’s trying to mate.
It’s been driving me nuts lol.
I didn’t know that was normal and I just thought the hens were being jerks.
My bantam cockerel (same age) sometimes kicks him off too and often chases him all over the yard.

I was just thinking today as I watched it happen yet again that I wish he would assert himself.
But I guess he is trying to do that; he just hasn’t been successful yet.

Back
Top Bottom