Normal cockerel behavior?

Ihavenoideaee

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2020
Alaska
I have one cockerel and 11 pullets. I’ve had them all since they were chicks and handled them every day (some more than others due to illness and injury). They’re around 18 weeks old and the cockerel has just started to crow. I’ve noticed that whenever I’m with the chickens now he gets territorial which I’m sure is normal, however, he also attacks the pullets that come lay in my lap. He will run over and try to pull them away by their necks then chase them. It happens every time one of the pullets is hanging out with me. Is this normal?
2E4EADAF-0013-4856-AB6F-4C8062682C8A.jpeg

This worked for me once when a cockerel attacked me when I came too close to his ladies.:
Let him feel you are the boss over him. Put him on the ground with his head down for 20 seconds. Do this a few days in a row and he will learn he is second in command. Repeat it every month.

Keep an eye on him. He may get aggressive later on with yoi, the hens or everyone.
I am. I’m pretty bummed about his attitude. I had a feeling he was a cockerel since he was about 2 weeks old which made me excited because he was a lot calmer and sweeter than the others but now he’s pissing me off.

Seems like their are different ways to deal with cockerels. Personally, I don't have to time or patience to deal with aggressive roosters. I simply eat them.

I think the best thing you can do with roosters is try to avoid bad circumstances before it actually happens. Once it does, it'll be hard to break.

When I have a batch of chicks, I treat everyone the same. I give them treats, carry them, and allow them to get close to me (peck at my shoe, follow me, etc). However, once I see the cockerels display their rooster traits, I completely change the way I behave around them. I no longer hand feed them, nor do I allow them to get close to me. If they do, I simply back them away with my foot. I don't go as far as to chase them when they crow or when they mate in front of me, since they rarely do and when they do, its usually not close to me.

Don't try and actually hurt the rooster, this will only cause him to not only lose his trust on you, but see you as a possible threat, making the whole matter worst. I had to learn this the hard way, intimidation rarely works, and if it does, it only causes the rooster to be scared of you. Scared roosters don't cooperate and make life hell.

Roosters are great for many reason, but one big drawback is their tendency to be overprotective. Your cockerel is still young, not fully mature yet. I would definitely keep and eye of him. I would back him off if he gets close, perhaps even chase him a bit. Again don't hurt him, just let him know not to get close. I believe when your cockerel grabs your pullets by their neck feathers, he is trying to mate with them. I see this same behavior with young cockerels and young pullets who have no idea whats going on. Over time your cockerel will learn to attract mates properly.

Back
Top Bottom