Normal eggs with a wrinkled pointy end?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pet Duck Boy, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    The eggs my EE hen meko lay always have a slightly wrinkled pointy end, every time. Nothing serious looking, but I was just wondering. The eggs have always had this but it got more noticeable with every egg laid.

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    She's just be artistic--adding a little DQ swirl for you. I have had a few EE's and BSL do the same thing. Eggs are fine the only problem is that little swirl can get knocked off exposing the inside of the egg. As long as the egg is clean, we bake with them.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Could be a few different things, lack of calcium, infectious bronchitis or other things....So no, it's not normal for eggs to be this way, You may want to post over in diseases section. Thanks and hope it help. Nancy

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Well, I looked it up and normally the whole egg is wrinkled or deformed. A drop in egg production is supposed to be another sypmtom, Meko lays the largests eggs of my 5 every single day. You can't even see her breathing so a respitory problem is not the case. She acts like a normal happy chicken to me. Egg whites are nice and think, and they taste great! [​IMG]

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I'd have to disagree--as long as she is acting normal there is no need to hit the panic button. As I said, I've had birds do this with a fair degree of regularity while showing no ill effects--usually they are older birds coming off or just entering moult. It's just one of those normal/abnormal things that, when we are dealing with a small number of birds is more apt to be noticed.
    BTW, someplace in this section there is a thread w/ a picture of an really deformed EE egg--looked like a piece of abstract art--can't remember the title but it was running a week or so ago. So you're not the only one to report something like this.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by