Normal Feet or Scaly Leg Mites? Please help!

Pics

PrettyChicky25

Chirping
Feb 6, 2023
Hi everyone! I found a chicken while out running one day and boy has she been through the war. She had an infection that is now clearing up but the only other thing I am worried about is her feet. She is a bantam and I read that their feet are supposed to be yellow. Please see the pics of my chicken and her feet. Do these look normal to you, or is this the beginning of scaly leg mites? I started dipping her feet in vegetable oil after soaking them in an epsom salt bath for ten minutes...
image_67207169.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you! Her name is Patience and she is my only chicken. I have parrots and a dove too. I am hoping to keep her inside if everything works out. I already tried using a toothbrush to clean her feet but it didn't seem like anything came off. I will try again. I wasn't sure if dirt could get under her scales or not since I've never had chickens. I can't risk giving anything to my other birds. Patience has been vet checked and is being quarantined in a separate room for a month or so.

Thank you! Her name is Patience and she is my only chicken. I have parrots and a dove too. I am hoping to keep her inside if everything works out. I already tried using a toothbrush to clean her feet but it didn't seem like anything came off. I will try again. I wasn't sure if dirt could get under her scales or not since I've never had chickens. I can't risk giving anything to my other birds. Patience has been vet checked and is being quarantined in a separate room for a month or so.
Then I wouldn't bother cleaning them again. I'm sure it's just mud. It'll correct itself in time. My girls get that after digging around post rainstorm.

Oh okay, thanks so much. I could see that given she was in the woods for god knows how long. What do you think about the color of her feet though? Have you seen white/pink feet before in chickens? (I only ask that because I had found a website that said white feet is the beginning of scaly leg mites and her legs are white.)

Oh okay, thanks so much. I could see that given she was in the woods for god knows how long. What do you think about the color of her feet though? Have you seen white/pink feet before in chickens? (I only ask that because I had found a website that said white feet is the beginning of scaly leg mites and her legs are white.)
Oh, yeah. Lots of white and pink legs. I have different birds with white, pink, black, gray, green, and yellow legs.

Back
Top Bottom