Normal for a young hen to stop laying?

minou33

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Colorado
My black copper maran hen (born last March) started laying in December and has consistently been laying every other day since. She hasn't laid in almost a week now and otherwise seems to be behaving normal. All my other hens have been laying consistently (even the ones who started laying at 20 weeks.) Should I be concerned? Schedule a vet visit? Or is this normal? This is my first year with chickens and I'm not sure what to expect. She's my favorite hen.

My black copper maran hen (born last March) started laying in December and has consistently been laying every other day since. She hasn't laid in almost a week now and otherwise seems to be behaving normal. All my other hens have been laying consistently (even the ones who started laying at 20 weeks.) Should I be concerned? Schedule a vet visit? Or is this normal? This is my first year with chickens and I'm not sure what to expect. She's my favorite hen.
Interesting... Is she your only Copper Maran? Both mine have slowed way down too, one in particular. Just to be sure they've been treated for Coccidiosis, worms, and sprayed for lice etc.
They were born around May and started laying first, and most consistently, around October or so I think ? So maybe it's the time of year or something? Because with the exception of the dog attack on one when she slowed down during recovery they'd been pretty consistent too.

Interesting... Is she your only Copper Maran? Both mine have slowed way down too, one in particular. Just to be sure they've been treated for Coccidiosis, worms, and sprayed for lice etc.
They were born around May and started laying first, and most consistently, around October or so I think ? So maybe it's the time of year or something? Because with the exception of the dog attack on one when she slowed down during recovery they'd been pretty consistent too.
She is my only BCM. I'm glad to hear it may a breed thing. I've definitely been considering parasite testing so I think I will go ahead with that.

She is my only BCM. I'm glad to hear it may a breed thing. I've definitely been considering parasite testing so I think I will go ahead with that.
It's a good idea: a simple thing with an easy solution (if that's the issue) to rule out a pesky problem.

As long as the rest of her behavior hasn't changed, I wouldn't worry. BCMs aren't necessarily the best of layers to start. She may also be going through a small juvenile molt, which would slow or stop laying.
Thank you for this information! I didn't realize anything in particular was going on with the feather-picking with my hens at first because there were so many feathers of all their colours. But I think the brown ones have a picking problem, and the BCMs are probably having a bit of a molt. I had been told they would have their first one this coming fall so I wasn't looking for it yet.

I'm having a similar issue. She's only 3 and was rescued from a battery hen factory a year ago. She's been feeling great and acting normal and has gained weight and was laying a lot until a few weeks ago. I'm looking for answers because I've never had a young one stop laying without a clear reason. She is not eggbound and has no fever.

Back
Top Bottom