Normal intestinal shedding or Coccidiosis?

ChickensRsmart

Songster
Aug 25, 2021
I have a Golden Sex Links hen (a young hen) and she's been producing stools with some orange to sometimes pink intestinal mucus - in spots (not the whole poop) and it seems to be somewhat often...not every poop, but certainly at least 1 or 2 of them per day. Is this normal to see that often?

Are there other microbial parasites (other than coccidiosis) that can produce the same signs in the poop? She's eating and drinking well, and does not show any other signs of illness. I have treated her with Amprolium - 10 ml per gallon (2.5 ml in a quart of water) for 5 days, followed by .625 ml in a quart of water per day for 7 days...she's got 1 more day to go but I am still seeing some orange to pink sections of intestinal goo in some of her poops....

Can you post some photos of the poop?
Thanks again WR.

I will get some pictures...it does look identical to some images posted on this forum from other people who were wondering the same thing I an now wondering...Let me see if I can take a reasonably good picture of one of them... I have been examining them using a watchmaker's loop and it's definitely intestinal tissue (or mucus)...

Can you post some photos of the poop?

OK, here are some pictures of one of her fresh morning poops. I could not find one last night - which is not a bad sign... I apologize for the poor image quality. My phone camera usually works fairly well, but today it's overcast outside and my camera prefers sunlight.

This particular poop has significantly less goo...there's usually a lot more present - maybe a sign that it is coccidiosis and that the treatment is working? In any case, the reddish spots on the end of the poop is mucus (via my magnifying eye piece). And while there is less of it than usual, it is also a darker reddish/orange color....before it was a much paler orange or pink... And it is usually sections of goo that extend to the outer surface of the stool...this one looks as though there is a narrower core of goo (inside the stool).

...Also, I just took this poop apart with some toothpicks and the red tissue on the end of the poop is not a core of red goo - it's just a blob stuck to the end of the poop. lol

Thanks again WR!

Attachments

• IMG00033.jpg
    IMG00033.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG00036.jpg
    IMG00036.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Looks like intestinal shedding to me.

See if that clears up after you finish the Corid.

Thanks WR!

She's just finished her course of Corid tonight. I will keep an eye on her stools...I am used to watching animal poop. LOL I decided to just give her the Corid because I was seeing the shedding every day with her. I don't know if it's normal for them to shed like that every day...young birds?

Shedding really should not occur every day.
Since you finished the Corid, then I would get some probiotics into her for a couple of days. See if the poop improves.

Thanks again (again) WR.

She's been getting a much better diet that she's ever gotten before. I spoil the crap out of them. She's learned to like sweet potato (or the ones that are orange like a yam...but not a yam). And when I first started her on game bird mix, she didn't know how to eat it...it took a few days before she learned that she could eat the stuff...

I will add the probiotics tomorrow.

Shedding really should not occur every day.
Since you finished the Corid, then I would get some probiotics into her for a couple of days. See if the poop improves.

Just a follow up WR.

My hen continues eating and drinking well, but I've also noticed that she appears to have a cold...or come clear nasal discharge. I've had her on probiotics now for a few days but the red goo globs in some of her stools are still there...most of them look fine, but there's still at least 2 of them per day.
I think she's definitely got some upper respiratory problem - maybe confined to her sinuses - no breathing difficulties, but she does sneeze now and then too. I am wondering if now this could be connected to the red tissue in her stools? Maybe she's got Coryza? But I haven't read anything regarding respiratory infections along with blood in stools...

Does the discharge have a bad odor? Infectious Coryza reportedly has a very bad odor.

It does sound like a respiratory issue, there are several diseases that can present with mucous and a sneeze. Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are common.
You can try giving Tylosin to see if that makes a difference with the respiratory symptoms and the poop. She may have some Enteritis, but hard to really know unless you can get a fecal float.

Back
Top Bottom