Normal pregnant dog behavior?

7 is just too old for a dog to have pups my family has bred rottweilers for 30 years and we've never bred one past 4 your vet should have told you that but I would do like you said and take her to a more skilled vet and just get a second opinion you want to be absolutely sure it's nothing serious and I would not breed her again at all after this and for any other dogs I would breed at 4 or 5 at the latest 7 to a dog is like a 40 or 50 year old woman having a baby yeah it might be possible but its dangerous and not as good as doing it younger especially since a woman getting pregnant older has one baby and a dog has several! Even is she is in the best health she's still not in her prime at that age but it's too late now all you can do is plan for the future I would just get a second opinion from another vet and here in a week and half or so I would switch her over to eating puppy food full time it can be dry puppy food if that's what she normally eats and you can mix stuff in it still but puppy food is much better for her you can even look on a bag of puppy food and it will tell you on the bag that it isn't just for puppies but it's also for pregnant and nursing dogs as well

smaller dogs are much different than rotts. 7 is old for a first litter but an experienced female who has easily had litters previously (especially a small/medium breed) isn't overly likely to have issues.

smaller dogs are much different than rotts. 7 is old for a first litter but an experienced female who has easily had litters previously (especially a small/medium breed) isn't overly likely to have issues.
7 is old for any dog to have puppies big or small breeding a dog that old especially if it’s already had several litters before when it was younger is over breeding and just breeding it to death the more times your dog is bred the higher your chances are of ovarian cancer along with a long list of other problems and the fact that the original poster had to ask what normal pregnant behavior is leads me to believe that this is her first litter if they had bred her before than they would know what her normal pregnant behavior was and they wouldn’t have needed to ask on here but whether or not it’s a big dog or a small dog or if it’s had litters or hasn’t had litters 7 is old a 7 year old dog is not in its prime and whether it’s had puppies before or not being pregnant will take a much bigger toll on a 7 year old dogs body than a younger dogs body but like I said before there is no point in arguing on whether or not the dog is too old or should have been bred because she already is bred and we can’t go back in time and change that the most they can do now is make sure they are getting check ups at the vet and giving her the optimum nutrition and care that they possibly can

Peace. Her age isn't the issue here. Her appetite perked up yesterday, and she's had more energy to take several walks per day. We're taking her in tomorrow.

If you have useful info here, that's super helpful to novices. If you jump all over a topic that cannot be changed now, you're just upsetting yourself and pushing people away.

Peace. Her age isn't the issue here. Her appetite perked up yesterday, and she's had more energy to take several walks per day. We're taking her in tomorrow.

If you have useful info here, that's super helpful to novices. If you jump all over a topic that cannot be changed now, you're just upsetting yourself and pushing people away.
Not trying to jump on anyone. I agree with you 100% as I've stated above twice that there is no point in arguing over the dogs age as she is already bred and nothing can be done about it now. I only mentioned age because there can be a lot of age related problems when it comes to breeding but I'm glad that she is doing better now it could have simply been morning sickness like someone mentioned before or something else simple but a vets opinion is always good to have in case. Please keep us updated on what happens at her appointment!

Back
Top Bottom