Normal teen rooster behavior or....?

Indigosands

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Yucca Valley, CA
I have a EE roo "fred" who is 22 weeks old. Up to this point he has been a really good boy. This week he began trying to attack my kids while free ranging in the yard with all of us there. He has never attacked me, won't even raise his hackles at me. Obviously my kids aren't allowed in the same yard right now when he's out but is this a passing phase of his development or is it time for my pretty rooster to become dinner? I was really hoping to keep a rooster but I don't want to keep a mean one around my children. His reasons for attack seem fairly reasonable if you think about it, kids cornering part of the flock, trying to pick up hens. If you have a nice rooster does he tolerate these behaviors in your presence?

It was normal behavior for my Barred Rock Roo. With Buster as long as you were face to face with him he was an angel but as soon as they turned there back on him he would pounce.

I had a barred rock roo who never raised a hackle to anyone in the family but would get aggressive with strangers. He made wonderful dressing. Since then I have gotten a red EE roo who has never done anything even slightly aggressive to anyone. The difference is wonderful.

Actually I was gone for a week and my little brother actually shot him and threw him in the trash. I was going to break him of it and I was teaching my kids how to get him to realize that they were not competing with him and it was working.

Back
Top Bottom