North Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ruachicken1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hooray hooray hooray! I went out with some treats for the chickens and found an egg in the cochin coop. Finally, their first egg!!! 11 months later! UGH!

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    RF, I forgot to tell you that just for the fun of it, we did put the maran eggs under my silkie. We put out 4. I keep going out to get eggs and she keeps getting off the marans and moving ON the newly laid eggs instead. I think I'm going to move her and the eggs to the quarantine pen and let her hatch them there if they do hatch.

Won't be upset if they don't, not planning on it actually working! :p

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    YAY for your cochin eggs!!!!!

Poor girl is so confused she doesn't know what to do about all the eggs.

BTW, I got bee balm, evening primrose, pink yarrow, and other things I forget the name of.....lmao

4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I just took almost all my chicks to the WCA Sunday. Right now I have Delaware. I have bunches hatching in the next 2 weeks. RIRs , Java & Polish all due the 5th. I have ducks hatching now and I don't even remember what else. [​IMG]
    PM me for if you are interested for pricing and availability..... I will be at the flock swap Sat. in Fay.

5. KristanB

KristanB Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Burnsville NC
    I have 5 older hens that I was given as a gift so I really dont know how old they are. I think some have stopped laying. Would it work if I quarantined them one at a time to see if they are still laying? Giving them a week by themselves, is that enough "test time"?

6. NewHomesteader2010

NewHomesteader2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Johnston County, NC
    RF - I am SO jealous!! I have YET to have a chicken give me a double yolk!! I keep hoping and my fingers have been crossed...but not once...not even with these HUGE eggs a few of my girls are laying. So there you have it...Jealous!!

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep

Don't be jealous, not all will lay one. This one hen just took it to extremes!! Almost every egg was a double the first year and she has slowly slowed up on them over the years. One year she did a double egg ( smaller egg in an egg) Last year I got about 10 doubles from her. It makes it hard to hatch any of her eggs!! But I did managne to get one to hatch and be a hen. Last year was her first year laying, not one double yolker. [​IMG]

8. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    When moving birds you could upset any egg cycle that might be going on, meaning they might take a few weeks to get to laying again. Not all the hens here have started back up on laying yet.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  9. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep

If you move her, get everything ready so all you have to do is move the eggs and her and thats it. Move her at night if possible, it seems to work best for me when I have to move a hen. Good luck. How are the new hens?

10. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Some say putting some food coloring on the vent so when they lay an egg they can tell who did it works?? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by