North Carolina

Thanks for the good wishes and prayers!

Just in case you aren't aware...most parasites are species specific. A few do cause alternate issues in other species, like getting larvael migranes from dog hookworm, but it's pretty rare. Don't be concerned about anyone in your family getting chicken worms. We have our own worms!

sickbyc.gif

Hi y'all-

We finally got the coop done and the girls are happy outside!

Had a question about feed. We have been giving them non-medicated Chick starter/grower (cleveland feeds) was wondering if there is anything better out there and cheaper? we pay about 24 for a 50lb bag.
Should we switch them to medicated feed now that they are outside?

thanks!

ep.gif
$24 per bag !! Where are you buying? I pay $14 something for 50lbs. Med. or non med. I feed Nutrena.

You have to give the Valbazen in a syringe? Oh, my! I don't know if I could do that!

How soon can I do it? Like I said, I want to get them before they get me! Anyone particularly good with a syringe?

AHH! I HATE NEEDLES
hide.gif
{and I can't really say that my husband would be steady with a syringe while I hold a chicken}

Anyway, I need a good website to look at the chicken feed details. I want to know the percentages, what ages that you switch them over, how much protein they need in the "winter" vs. summer... etc. Thanks in advance :)

Hollow -- Praying for safe travels and good news for you, and your dad!

NH - I'm still dying to hear if your duck is broody and you are able to hatch some duckies! YAY!

TF - Keep us updated on the worming, I guess if it is necessary, I will need that info too.

Happy Tuesday all!

You use a syringe without the needle and give it to them in their mouth. Some put it on bread. I found some locally a little pricey this way but I will get it sooner. Worth it to me
smile.png

Yes... 1/2 CC BY MOUTH for large birds 1/4 cc for bantams...or on piece of bread...I find it easier to put in the mouth. Just put on the front tongue and let them swallow ...do not stick the syringe down their throat, they could aspirate.

Thanks for all the worming info! I am very grateful to have found you all!

Meg I hope all goes well - for your dad and for you. Will be thinking of you.

2StrayRoos, don't forget that Valbazen is a cattle wormer, you won't find it in the chicken section (I made this mistake). It seems our local TSC carries it... but I don't always trust my memory on this one. I dont' know what anyone else thinks about this, since Valbazen is safe for dogs, my neighbor took the eggs I would have tossed and her dogs had scrambled eggs for two weeks. Happy dogs!
Called around this morning my TSC said they had safeguard and a couple more, but my local hardware store down the road is going to order me some so I will have it in a few days instead of a week or more
clap.gif
Just have to pay about 25.00 more. Worth it to me. I also read about giving the eggs to dogs. Mine would love it even though he is suppose to be on a diet. A little won't hurt. Just hate to throw away all those pretty pink, blue and green eggs away. I wonder if the eggs I got yesterday have worms in them
sickbyc.gif
I put them aside. I do give some of mine away. That would be terrible
hide.gif
Also thanks for the offer of the Valbazen. I am in the middle of making a medicine, firstaid kit anyway. One more thing to add.

Thanks for the good wishes and prayers!

Just in case you aren't aware...most parasites are species specific. A few do cause alternate issues in other species, like getting larvael migranes from dog hookworm, but it's pretty rare. Don't be concerned about anyone in your family getting chicken worms. We have our own worms!

Well, not really me, my chickens. AHH! My dog had worms once. Twice. Let's not talk about that. It was a time of much anxiety.

Back
Top Bottom