North Carolina

Home and rested, and birds are settling in. Had an incredible day at Chicken stock. Came home with nearly everything on my list. Saw some pretty birds and hung with great friends, and made some new ones. My mother did fairly well with artwork. And I did okay with birds sales, not nearly as good as I hoped. But I was just glad I got to go .

Here are photos of some of my lovelies that I got:
Chicken Pot Pie, my lovely Blue Laced Red wyandotte. She has a crooked beak, but is beautiful just the way she is :love

My sweet adorable white silkie girl. years I have wanted one since I got started with chickens. and love this girl so much. She has been named angle :weee

My lovely Gold laced cochins from NCgrammie. I love these guys. :celebrate

And my lovely splash OEGBs . These guys are so sweet and tiny!!!!! :love

Also came home with some lovely cochins from West Knol Farm, they wouldn't settle long enough to get a picture, but they are beautiful!

Also made off with some gorgeous colored EEs.

OMG PLEASE please please put me on your list for those tiny chickens :) how tiny they are! how adorable are they! I doubt hubby would notice these!!!

Welcome! Where are you from? I think we are all a little addicted!
Welcome! Where are you from? I think we are all a little addicted!

We live in rutherford county. Hubby 'adopted' his grandfather's flock after he passed. Hubby lost a couple to foxes, and we have Two rhoRhode islands left, 1 white leghorn, 2 black sexlinks, and a tom turkey left from his grandpa's flock. He had a big ole rooster, that flogged me, he was tasty :)
I have added 2 buff orpingtons, 2 cochins, 1 white rock, 3 Easter Eggers, 2 marans, 2 polish, 4 gold sexlinks, and a Brahama rooster to his(or well I should say Mine, cause the minute I married him I became the flock care taker) flock in the last 6 Months.

I don't have any advice for you, because I'm new at this too, but I just wanted to say that your coop sounds like it's going to be awesome! I thought I had gone a little over the top with mine. But you have a solid brick home for your chickens? Very cool. :)

This is the back wall of the coop. The roosting tree is 7' tall in total. Highest roosting branch is about 6' off the ground. The little biddies are still too small to reach much more than the bottom two branches, but I reckon as they grow they can ladder their way up the tree. They can't reach the roosting bar on the nesting boxes yet either but I haven't got anyplace else to put it and they can walk under it so it's not in the way at least.

Better look at the roost. Opinions? Suggestions?

Screen door for ventilation during the day. Will be closed for added security during the night - and the window will be left open. I figure it's higher off the ground so less chance of predators getting in. This thing is about as Fort Knox as chickens can get I reckon.

Nesting boxes made out of scrap wood. Legs are 20" long so base of the boxes are high enough off the ground that they can walk under it. If I ever talk DH into more chooks (it's a work in progress) I'll have to build more but for the six girls we have now this should do the trick I hope.

Feeding and watering station. They like to hang out inside the holes of the cinder blocks for now. That's Cleopecktra, my Light Brahma pullet, modelling it for you. :) She is by far the most outgoing and curious of my girls.

Anyway, that's their housing setup. How'd I do? Think it's good enough for some three week olds to stay in overnight with no light?

Banriona, your coop is awesome. I love it! I would think they'd get used to the roost with time.

As far as leaving them out overnight, it's just a question of temperature. What do they say - start at 95 and down about 5 degrees every week after that until they get their feathers? I know that was always a little warmer than what mine needed, so I would say if yours are 3 weeks old, they are probably ok somewhere in the range of 70-80 degrees if I had to guess.

Yeah - so far they're hanging out between 70 and 80 generally. I've been leaving them in the coop during the day for their own safety. Yesterday my two year old son got to one of them and was carrying her around the house by her foot.
somad.gif
Guess that's what I get for leaving things to my dear sweet DH who excels at single tasking. Thankfully she's fine but Oy vey. He's lucky I wasn't home when this happened. But then, if I had been it wouldn't have happened.
hmm.png

Temps are supposed to be in the mid 50's at night so we've been bringing them in around sunset and taking them back out first thing in the morning. Guess we can keep that up for a few more weeks. So far they're happy in the house without the light, but we have the AC set to 80 so they never get below 70 at night.

Well got 1/3 of the
birds dusted for mites, most of the silkies and sumatras. That just leaves the polish and polish projects, the sizzles/mixed pen, the silkie projects, the grow outs, the ones running free in the yard
roll.png
and the turkeys
th.gif
OOh and Diablo
hide.gif
Wanna come do him Beth??
Ummmm..I think I am busy......forever ! LOL

DST-- I may ruffle some feathers with this since most people on here seem to have their dogs as family members, but the day my dog killed a chicken he was gone.

It was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back-- my son wanted a dog, but then when he got it didn't really want anything to do with it. I really didn't have the time to train it properly as my husband and son were supposed to deal with him. We got a black lab beagle mix that was about to be put down. He was way hyper, chewed everything, jumped up on the kids, not completely housebroken, then killed a chicken. Fortunately we found him a good home with someone on the other side of Fayetteville with a lot of land and no chickens! But no more dogs for me! We have a shelter rescue cat that spent so many years in a shelter he really thinks he's a dog, minus all the negatives!

I really hope you can get a good home for him.

We have had some issues with him before hand, but once he started killing chickens I knew he had to go! I love him to death but he really does have to go.
sad.png

Anyway I found a chick from some friends about Rocky's age!!! She is so sweet!!!!!!!!! She is a Comet/Lav Orpington Cross. Her beak isn't straight so she got picked on by the other chicks. They seem to be getting together great! She is so sweet and friendly. AND Pretty!

Also when we got Rocky the guy at the feed store said that they believed he was a white rock. Well he oviously isn't, because he's got the black. Does anyone have any idea what he could be?

Today was a somber day :( after a long fight my sweet little Penny Popeye past away :hit she fought so hard for so long. She kept her weight up, and continued to remain spunky and full of life, she was getting a good many feathers in and looked just like her sister Poppy. She was always first to my hand in the brooder, always looking for her treats. She loved to be snuggled. But today she past over the rainbow bridge to live a happy life with no deformities. :hit :hit :hit

O no soo sorry for your loss :( ((hugs))

Thank you. Its been weird, I've lost chickens before, and Have felt sad when I've lost them, but losing this little one has been like losing a close pet, I keep expecting her to come running up to me.

OMG PLEASE please please put me on your list for those tiny chickens :) how tiny they are! how adorable are they! I doubt hubby would notice these!!!

Will do :) I believe ya'll got you easter eggers from me, Your husband is Reyford right? If this isn't you please excuse my babbling :lol:

Back
Top Bottom