North Carolina

Tikkijane, do I care if she is what?

Do you care if she's broody or not? People do all kinds of things to break broodies; I think it's because they don't want to lose the eggs they'd otherwise be getting. Me, I don't much care. I have broodies that aren't laying on anything, lol. As long as they are coming off to eat (I use fermented food, so I know they sre staying more hydrated, too), I leave them alone. I don't see it as a problem, but others sure do.

My mama has a few more eggs under her. The three survivors hatched out 2 weeks ago. Had she not made her nest 30 feet up in the hayloft (which meant the dogs could get to her in the morning when she came down to eat) and was so darn mean, I would have snuck out her eggs as she laid them if I had known where they were, lol.

If they want to take a break, it's fine by me. :D

Duck question-- They are getting BIG & much harder to unload than I anticipated!
They're 2 weeks old-- no feathers yet-- can I put them outside as long as they have a heat lamp.
I turned the heat lamp off inside, but it's still warm in the house, I know outside is cold, especially overnight.
They're getting way too big for the bath tub and even changing the bedding out everyday they are much stinkier than chicks because they splash water all over the bedding.

Any good flock swaps coming up? I need to downsize birds before we go to Florida.

THANKS!

Quote:
Any good flock swaps coming up? I need to downsize birds before we go to Florida.

THANKS!

@doubleatraining posted this yesterday.....its posted on craigslist and its round in Raleigh. you could go there. I was going to go there this weekend... (swap is Saturday) but I am crammed that day. uugh. I don't know how close it is to you, but I may go to this one the next time it pops up.

Last edited:
Grrrr so I just missed it!!!
barnie.gif

I don't know, we don't usually got to flock swaps (too tempting to get more birds!!!), but I've got to do something!

I've got 10 ducks to get rid of, 5 Breda, a couple extra roo's that I don't want to grow all the way out for meat, a couple Olive Eggers, trying to convince my husband we need to rehome his pair of turkeys they're just too loud barking with the neighbors dogs all day..... May have to get rid of a couple of my POL girls too, I've got to get it under 10. Right now there are 13 that I have as "keep", it's so hard to downsize, I get attached to everyone!!!

Last edited:
Grrrr so I just missed it!!!
barnie.gif

I don't know, we don't usually got to flock swaps (too tempting to get more birds!!!), but I've got to do something!

I've got 10 ducks to get rid of, 5 Breda, a couple extra roo's that I don't want to grow all the way out for meat, a couple Olive Eggers, trying to convince my husband we need to rehome his pair of turkeys they're just too loud barking with the neighbors dogs all day..... May have to get rid of a couple of my POL girls too, I've got to get it under 10....

the swap found here http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/4318908663.html is on the 8th....but that's like an hour drive for you!

Okay thanks!
I just looked at it, and from where I am in Fayetteville it's close to 2 hours each way so I think that's a little too far, I have so much to try and get done here this weekend (and process like 50 quail!)

Any thoughts on these ducks, can I put them out with a heat lamp or do they still have to be in my house?

Back
Top Bottom