North Carolina

East Bend and Yadkinville or Booneville are great in the area too!
j
They are great. I love hamptonville up in that area. Yadkinville is nice and just hope on interstate to get to winston. Probably better schools away from the city too. I'm one town over from yadkinville. Does anybody know where to get fresh feed in the area? Or a good feed store?

Hey all! We are near the area of Whiteville NC, and I work in Wilmington area. We are new to chicken raising. When I was in the classroom I did the egg incubation process multiple times with preschoolers, and have thought about doing it for several years now which intensified when we got a lot in a more rural area three years ago...so finally we got our first chicks this weekend along with our brooder supplies, and got our coop and am trying to learn as much as I can.

Hello all - its been a while since I have visited this site. We are just now getting back into 'backyard chickening' since we moved three years ago. (Have 7 fluffy butts in the brooder right now). ;-) Even though we have not had our own for three years, I still do a hatching project for one of the 2nd grade teachers here in Oak Ridge. Love this project and the kids are so excited. I have a source for a variety of eggs (I like to show the kids that not all eggs are white or brown!). However, the one thing she doesn't currently have are BANTAM hatching eggs. I have had no luck finding any on Craigslist this time around either. Anyone out there close to the Greensboro/Winston Salem area have bantam hatching eggs they would be willing to donate to sell at a $1 a piece. I only need a few....3 to 6. Just like to show the kids the size difference. Even happy to bring you whatever hatches!!! I don't sell my hatches....I find them homes or return to egg supplier. This is purely for education! I plan to set the eggs on Wednesday the 18th.

Thanks in advance!

I started raising chickens while I was growing up in N Cali. I was in FFA and was on the Poultry Team. I got married and after my husband was honorably discharged from the Coast Guard, we moved to N.Carolina many years ago and when we bought the house we now have (near Statesville), I started up again. I have 9 hens that all have names and my family thinks I have lost my mind! I talk to them, sing to them, etc. I ordered some Silkies about a year ago. I raised 3 hens and a roo. Clyde started strutting around and soon had all my hens under his “wing.” About two months ago, either a fox oe.a raccoon snuck in the coop and he died defending the girls. My little granddaughter loved him, and unfortunately, before I could open the door, she comes running to me ...”Granna, Granna, something is wrong with Cwidie! You have to come now!” She finally calmed down after we had a very lengthy discussion of animals in heaven. My 17 year old Westie, Elvis, had passed away just before this happened and now she understands (by looking at images of animals with wings) that she will see them both again one day in heaven. Yes, we are believers in Jesus being the only way to heaven - belief, public confession, faith and repentance - and we attend an awesome Baptist Church near our home. If anyone near us is looking for a Church home, please send me a message. We have a church family that is awesome!

Anyway, from the two hens that survived when we had Clyde, we have 5 babies that are about 7 weeks old. I think that 3 will be splash colored, and the other two will be blue. We also acquired two silkie hens and a frizzle roo locally. We were told that the roo was molting, more like attacked! He us healing nicely. The hen from this trio has gone broody and I am trying some fertilized eggs for her to hatch to snap her out of it.

I have been threatened by my family to stop buying chickens but I just can’t stop!!

Nice to hear from my fellow chicken enthusiasts! This is a great forum!

Hello all - its been a while since I have visited this site. We are just now getting back into 'backyard chickening' since we moved three years ago. (Have 7 fluffy butts in the brooder right now). ;-) Even though we have not had our own for three years, I still do a hatching project for one of the 2nd grade teachers here in Oak Ridge. Love this project and the kids are so excited. I have a source for a variety of eggs (I like to show the kids that not all eggs are white or brown!). However, the one thing she doesn't currently have are BANTAM hatching eggs. I have had no luck finding any on Craigslist this time around either. Anyone out there close to the Greensboro/Winston Salem area have bantam hatching eggs they would be willing to donate to sell at a $1 a piece. I only need a few....3 to 6. Just like to show the kids the size difference. Even happy to bring you whatever hatches!!! I don't sell my hatches....I find them homes or return to egg supplier. This is purely for education! I plan to set the eggs on Wednesday the 18th.

Thanks in advance!
Two weeks ago I would have several but both my Silkies hens have gone broody so no more eggs from them for awhile ;)

Back
Top Bottom