North Carolina

th.gif
im so sick of all the confusing weather.
fl.gif
for a couple good hard frosts and atleast a couple inches of snow.
Actually we might ought to enjoy it ALL, it can change at the drop of a hat and we'll be complaining about not being able to be outside, my flock has been able to have their swimming water still and I have enjoyed watching them play in it. And it is kind of nice to still be able to use the hose.
smile.png

Pictures of a few of the biddies ... they are 4 weeks old

What's the white/yellow one? I had thought her to be a buff silkie until she started turning white? Now her "Buttercream" just looks dirty. :) and the other .. is that a roo on the right?!?

and the rest..

How many is ok? I have a 8x8 (remodeled playhouse) Coop and a 20x20 run. How many hens will be comfy there? I was guessing maybe 15... thoughts?

The coup has 6 nesting boxes (we designed the nesting boxes to allow another row of nesting boxes on top), 4 2"x4' roosting staggered roosting poles and 1 2"x8' roosting pole above a poop board, two windows~ 1 that leads out to a ramp that goes out to the run. Hanging feeder and waterer. A flock block and lots of haaaay.

At 15 you are looking at just over 4 and a quarter square feet inside, which is about right. Rule of thumb is 4 square feet of inside space. For outside space I suggest 15-20 square feet per bird. 'Experts' say 10 is good, but I like birds to have LOTS of room to get away from each other. You have plenty of room for 15 or more.

3 nesting boxes is enough, unless you have broody breeds then 4-6. With 15 birds you will get all eggs out of 1-2 nests anyway.

I would suggest 2 feeders and 2 waterers or 1 primary feed/water area and then a smaller secondary spot. Most flocks will always have the dominant ones that can bully the lesser ones away from feed and water. Having 2 feed/water areas allows for this and keeps everyone fed.

Matt

What's the white/yellow one? I had thought her to be a buff silkie until she started turning white? Now her "Buttercream" just looks dirty. :) and the other .. is that a roo on the right?!?

and the rest..

Our silkie started out yellowish too but she turned out white except for a tiny spot on her neck that is still creamish and she is fully feathered now...

That is a white silkie. The baby fluff can be yellowish, but feather out white. And YES the one trying to be the tallest is a little Roo.

Matt

That is a white silkie. The baby fluff can be yellowish, but feather out white. And YES the one trying to be the tallest is a little Roo.

Matt
Eeeeekkk!! That roo is "Lilli", my daughter named after herself. We are looking for a different roo, a phoenix. I ordered all females from mypetchicken.com .... Not sure how to handle this ....
rant.gif

contact them and let them know that one is looking like it will be a roo. they may refund the difference in the price between male and female but not sure if anything else could be done but it is worth a try. i also had one from another place that was supposed to be a girl but wasn't. you can always wait a while to make sure and then try to rehome if you don't want to keep him. we just went through this. someone did a swap with us and we got a duck in his place.....good luck with it.

My friend ordered from my pet chicken in the spring and got a boy in my order, they refunded the price of a girl, and when she ordered again two months later they sent 3 extra girls as an apology.

Well its official we are dealing with not one but 4 coyotes :eek: :th i havent lost anything to them but i set up a remote camera and when my dog started barking at the coop i snapped pics. I got 4 skinny young(judging by size) boys, digging at my coop. They look bad, skin and bones and maybe only 4-6 months. Im thinking they lost their mom to the wildfire we recently had. I also noticed a very young fox trying to catch my ducks in broad day light last week. And a couple nights ago my friend found 2 baby deer in her horse pasture eating the sweet feed. I feel so bad for all of these orphans. So tomorrow 4 traps are getting set my neighbor is kindly give me 4 chickens that went to freeze camp Sunday to bait the boys with, i think 8lbs of meat EACH is gonna be hard to resist :lau and I've got wildlife fish and game standing by to transport these boys to rehab and then off to the smoky mountains! If they don't some quick i might take pity in these boys and give them more food. O on a funny note my neighbor called me an idiot when i went to ask for freezer birds, he said "silly girl, you dont go makin friends with the beasts that is trying to eat them animals of yours! Trap and shoot, thats what i say." Well i said "i can't kill them if they havent killed anything. I cant blame them for coming up to my coops looking for a meal, they dont know the difference between my pets and what looks like a free buffet." He goes " girl your a kind hearted idiot." :lau

Back
Top Bottom