North Carolina

I am so excited - was able to get 3 beautiful silkie pullets today from a breeder North of Greensboro. I got a black paint and two blue partridge pullets - they are absolutely adorable. I had no idea silkies were this cute and sweet. My mom went with me and she got them all kinds of goodies at the Southern States store! LOL! They are now set up in quarantine and resting quietly. Tomorrow I may try to bathe them inside - their feet are kind of yucky - which I guess it not all the uncommon..... I'm hoping they will be be able to hatch out some eggs for me later this year :)
Angela

I am so excited - was able to get 3 beautiful silkie pullets today from a breeder North of Greensboro. I got a black paint and two blue partridge pullets - they are absolutely adorable. I had no idea silkies were this cute and sweet. My mom went with me and she got them all kinds of goodies at the Southern States store! LOL! They are now set up in quarantine and resting quietly. Tomorrow I may try to bathe them inside - their feet are kind of yucky - which I guess it not all the uncommon..... I'm hoping they will be be able to hatch out some eggs for me later this year :)
Angela
Oooo, I so want some blue and paint pullets. Sonnie, our white silkie, free ranges with the rest of the girls so we keep her foot feathers trimmed back and the feathers of her crest trimmed away from her eyes.

Angela
I think they are yuckier than the norm when sitting in a box for a period of time too. ....and ohhh they can stink! Still love em though. Just have to keep them in a clean run or litter.

Oooo, I so want some blue and paint pullets. Sonnie, our white silkie, free ranges with the rest of the girls so we keep her foot feathers trimmed back and the feathers of her crest trimmed from her eyes.
Thanks so much for this info! I didn't realize you could trim back those feathers on their feet and around their eyes but it sure does make sense to help keep them clean. I hope to let them free range with my hens eventually. I didn't get a rooster just yet. I want to see how it goes with the pullets first, before I decide if I want to raise some myself. The breeder will be at the show on March 30 and I hope to get some eggs from them to take to school to incubate for the kids....and possibly get a rooster :) I had never seen the "porcelain" color before but they are just absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! I wanted one so badly but I'm afraid they would be sitting targets for hawks. We occasionally see hawks out here and I lost a lemon cuckoo orphington pullet a couple months ago to a "mystery" predator. We are highly suspicious of a hawk and have taken measures to prevent it from happening again. Still, I would rather be safe than sorry. I figured I would start with something that at least has a chance.

Anyone have any other tips for keeping Silkies. These are about 10 weeks old.
Angela

I think they are yuckier than the norm when sitting in a box for a period of time too. ....and ohhh they can stink! Still love em though. Just have to keep them in a clean run or litter.
I'm hoping to take the plunge and wash them tomorrow - they are a bit stinky. Especially, the smaller one - I think she was bullied a good bit. I have NEVER washed a chicken before and I know my family will think I am totally nuts. I've read online about "how to wash a chicken" so I will give it a try. For now, I have them in a huge rubbermaid tub with shavings. I will have to see if the shavings will work or if they will get caught in their feathers and make a mess.

Thanks so much for the tip! I use sand in my chicken coup so I can pick out the poop every day and keep it clean. I rake out the runs every day as well. My chickens free range during the day and are only penned up at night so they stay safe. I have heat in the coup for them but not sure the little silkies could get up on the roosts. Someone told me they can't fly - is that correct??

Angela

Quick question, is there a chart that I can look that gives a general Idea of what a white bantam orp should look like, comb points, waddles, feet, color etc. Thinking of showing my hen, but not sure what the judges look forward??

Good Morning, Happy North Carolina People!

I'm starting off today happy. Hubby got back from his trip yesterday, so I didn't have to catch up and inject a calf by myself, which was much nicer. And they're eating more and more solids, although they aren't ready for weaning by any means.

Hubby and I both have multiple alarms set so I will. Never again forget to lock up my chickens.

So everything is better than it was. Something to be happy about!

Everyone enjoy your day!

I'm hoping to take the plunge and wash them tomorrow - they are a bit stinky. Especially, the smaller one - I think she was bullied a good bit. I have NEVER washed a chicken before and I know my family will think I am totally nuts. I've read online about "how to wash a chicken" so I will give it a try. For now, I have them in a huge rubbermaid tub with shavings. I will have to see if the shavings will work or if they will get caught in their feathers and make a mess.

Thanks so much for the tip! I use sand in my chicken coup so I can pick out the poop every day and keep it clean. I rake out the runs every day as well. My chickens free range during the day and are only penned up at night so they stay safe. I have heat in the coup for them but not sure the little silkies could get up on the roosts. Someone told me they can't fly - is that correct??

Angela
Angela,

welcome to the world of silkies. I have had them for over 2 yewars now and here are a few hints for you. Do not let them free range, their upward vision is very limited and they do make easy prey for predators.. Also they are prone to bullying by larger fowl if you mix them..... Silkies roost on the floor, so really you need a seperate coop for them. If you wash them, please blow dry with a warm setting on your hair drier, and then keep inside for at least 24 hours to make sure they are not damp when put outside. My silkies are in an unheated building, they do not need heat but just somewhere dry and draft free.

Which show will you be going to in Mach?

Gavin.

Back
Top Bottom