North Carolina

Hmmm... I don't know the name of it! It's not new. Haven't been to a swap out that way, but I guess I should look into them; that's closer than TSC! I know that feed store has changed hands several times. Maybe they aren't a SS place anymore? Guess I'll have to go for a bit of a drive and see!

And...it IS Cedar Creek. I think.

Sigh. I'm confusing myself now. I rarely go out that way, and I get those confused all the time.

Last edited:
I myself have no problems tossing away out-of-date antibiotics. Just means no one needed it and that makes me happy.

2 Antibiotics I always have here just in case.

Fish-Mox: Yes they are made for aquariums, but it is the same thing and CHEAPER. I get 100 capsules bottles at 250 mg of Amoxicillin each for $14.18 on ebay from http://stores.ebay.com/countrysidepetsupply. Capsules last alot longer then injectable and powder. For dosage all you have to do is wet a capsule and pop it down the birds throat. The 'wetting' is so that is doesn't stick to the inside of the mouth or tongue.

Amoxicillin is your go it antibiotic for infection from injury, sepsis, crop infections, sour crop, gut infections, egg binding, and even some respiratory issues. I have given it to both bantams and standards with great success over the years. Treatment for most things is 1 a day for 5-7 days.

Tylan 50 and syringes(bulk box of 1CC slip lock syringes and another of 25 guage needles): All around treatment for alot of respiratory issues. The slip lock syringes have a longer tip that the needle slides on. These come in handy for use as a dropper/force feeder as well. I also have some 6CC with the slip lock that I use for worming with Ivomec.

Matt

Edited to add: I have also used Fish-Mox to treat myself. LOL
Randall Burkey sells Fish Mox. I will order some to have. I see you mention sour crop. I have an EE with a pendulous crop. Would that help her? I have Tylan water soluble that my dog-cat vet gave me for respiratory problems. Thanks for this info.

Thanks to you all for all the kind words. Losing one is so hard. Its hard to believe she is gone. Last Friday she was taking dust baths with her sisters and this Friday she could hardly move. Happened so quick. Tuesday her other 2 sisters wouldn't leave her side. It was like they knew this was going to be their last time together and it was. We all miss her.

Thanks to you all for all the kind words. Losing one is so hard. Its hard to believe she is gone. Last Friday she was taking dust baths with her sisters and this Friday she could hardly move. Happened so quick. Tuesday her other 2 sisters wouldn't leave her side. It was like they knew this was going to be their last time together and it was. We all miss her.

We all sure have some loved chickens, don't we?

There are alot of Southern States stores, but there are also even more feed places that just sell Southern States feed. I buy SS feed from Gragg's farm supply and Belle Farm, but there is no SS store around here.

A pendulous crop is a physical condition, not an infection or sickness. That happens when the crop becomes over stretched for some reason and stays that way. Birds with a pendulous crop can have fairly normal lives, but you will have to watch that the food in the crop keeps cycling out or it can lead to a sour crop. I have had a couple over the years with pendulous crops. Smudge lived 3 years just fine, but then started having trouble getting food to pass on in and started lossing weight. We eventually had to put the old gal down. Loud-Mouth is here now and developed the problem a few months ago. So far she is doing well. It is odd seeing a bird in the yard craning her neck to the side and flexing to push on her own crop to keep food moving.

I have heard some folks that have used a type of bra for hens with pendulous crops, but most have issues with keeping them on the hens. Do a search for "chicken crop bra" and you will see what I mean. Just make sure you have a filter going on your search engine or at least no kids around. No telling what will come up.

Matt

There are alot of Southern States stores, but there are also even more feed places that just sell Southern States feed. I buy SS feed from Gragg's farm supply and Belle Farm, but there is no SS store around here.

A pendulous crop is a physical condition, not an infection or sickness. That happens when the crop becomes over stretched for some reason and stays that way. Birds with a pendulous crop can have fairly normal lives, but you will have to watch that the food in the crop keeps cycling out or it can lead to a sour crop. I have had a couple over the years with pendulous crops. Smudge lived 3 years just fine, but then started having trouble getting food to pass on in and started lossing weight. We eventually had to put the old gal down. Loud-Mouth is here now and developed the problem a few months ago. So far she is doing well. It is odd seeing a bird in the yard craning her neck to the side and flexing to push on her own crop to keep food moving.

I have heard some folks that have used a type of bra for hens with pendulous crops, but most have issues with keeping them on the hens. Do a search for "chicken crop bra" and you will see what I mean. Just make sure you have a filter going on your search engine or at least no kids around. No telling what will come up.

Matt
Got one. Her boob kept popping out after it stretch out of place. We are talking about a D cup here. She does fine eats like a pig. Just looks like she is marching when she walks. She didn't mind it on. Backed up at first. Turned her out to free range when we put it on her to take her mind off of it. Wish the material was a little stronger. Figure she would get too hot with it on during the summer. Might try it again this fall and winter.

Soooo bummed...lost 2 nine week old pullets in the last 2 days...no sign of illness...no sign of predators...fine one day and gone the next...any ideas? Gave the remaining four from the same pen a drop of nutradrench in their beaks and added electrolytes to their water...not sure what else to do?

You can sprinkle baking soda on your carpets to kill fleas inside the house... leave for 2 days and vaccum up baking soda & dead fleas... be sure to dump vaccum canister. It drys their outer shell and causes the flea to dehydrate & die. You will have to do it every 2 weeks or so... because it doesn't kill flea eggs... just the adult fleas.

Back
Top Bottom