North Carolina

th.gif
GRRRRAHHHHHHH!!!!!

I only have one silkie left from those crazy over priced sexed silkies I ordered this summer from my pet chicken. It's been cold & she can't get on the roost so I go out every night & pick her up and put her on the roost with the rest so she stays nice and warm. My kids are being crazy awful last night with my husband gone & it took forever to get them in bed. Around midnight while I'm in bed I realize I never lifted her up, but it wasn't supposed to be too cold so I thought she'd be fine for one night.

I go out this morning and she's torn apart in pieces on the far side of the run. (And the predators have only ever gone after the chickens on the floor of the coop or nest box, never one up on a roost). I don't know what is going on with predators, I NEVER had them now I am inundated! And for the life of me I can't figure out how whatever it is is getting into my pen. Going to Lowe's this morning and building a heavy door with a padlock for the coop entrance because apparently my secure pen isn't doing it! It's completely fenced, chicken wired all along the bottom to be extra secure, and completely covered with bird netting and a lock on the door.....

Ironically my original flock of chickens just had a pallet fence around them with no top (which anything could get in or out of) and I never lost any to a predator!!!!

Last edited:
th.gif
GRRRRAHHHHHHH!!!!!

I only have one silkie left from those crazy over priced sexed silkies I ordered this summer from my pet chicken. It's been cold & she can't get on the roost so I go out every night & pick her up and put her on the roost with the rest so she stays nice and warm. My kids are being crazy awful last night with my husband gone & it took forever to get them in bed. Around midnight while I'm in bed I realize I never lifted her up, but it wasn't supposed to be too cold so I thought she'd be fine for one night.

I go out this morning and she's torn apart in pieces on the far side of the run. (And the predators have only ever gone after the chickens on the floor of the coop or nest box, never one up on a roost). I don't know what is going on with predators, I NEVER had them now I am inundated! And for the life of me I can't figure out how whatever it is is getting into my pen. Going to Lowe's this morning and building a heavy door with a padlock for the coop entrance because apparently my secure pen isn't doing it! It's completely fenced, chicken wired all along the bottom to be extra secure, and completely covered with bird netting and a lock on the door.....

Ironically my original flock of chickens just had a pallet fence around them with no top (which anything could get in or out of) and I never lost any to a predator!!!!

I am so sorry!! Sounds like it might be time to invest in a wildlife cam. That way you can see what is getting in, and hopefully how it's getting in so you can stop it. Hopefully you can find one cheap.
hugs.gif
I know this is the LAST thing you need right now.

th.gif
GRRRRAHHHHHHH!!!!!

oh i was about to offer u some silkies to keep it company but got to the dead part... i am so srry did u raise ur silkies with regular chicks? if so they will usually roost with them

:hit :hit :hit just got back from the vet, she came in for an emergency for us my baby Aki was not doing good at all, she did blood work and xrays, at loss she ran a parvo test, and my baby boy is Parvo postive :hit he has 50/50 chance of survivng. i am beyond sad and scared, I don't want to lose him, i can't!!!! Please pray hard for my boy.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
just got back from the vet, she came in for an emergency for us my baby Aki was not doing good at all, she did blood work and xrays, at loss she ran a parvo test, and my baby boy is Parvo postive
hit.gif
he has 50/50 chance of survivng. i am beyond sad and scared, I don't want to lose him, i can't!!!! Please pray hard for my boy.
sorry to hear this.......hope he recovers........praying for him
fl.gif
hugs.gif

oh i was about to offer u some silkies to keep it company but got to the dead part... i am so srry did u raise ur silkies with regular chicks? if so they will usually roost with them
I somehow didn't realize they couldn't fly at all (don't know how I didn't notice this with my last silkies) so she couldn't get up on the roost with the rest. I was planning on building a ladder type thing so she could hop up, but hadn't gotten to it yet. Do you sell silkie pullets? I get so attached to them and can't keep roosters so I hate getting straight run chicks and then having to give them away when they turn out to be boys :(

I am so sorry!! Sounds like it might be time to invest in a wildlife cam. That way you can see what is getting in, and hopefully how it's getting in so you can stop it. Hopefully you can find one cheap.
hugs.gif
I know this is the LAST thing you need right now.

Ordered one, should be here Tuesday. Didn't realize how expensive they were, so only got one. Have to figure out the most strategic way to place it. I hope I can catch how whatever this thing is is getting in my pen. Everyone alive & well this morning, guess because they sleep up on the roost. I was looking for footprints, but never found any.

Wild-- Sending prayers for your pup, hope he starts improving!!!

Back
Top Bottom