North Carolina

Quote: The trees and bushes don't remove the possibility of a hawk; just change the species. Most of us look at Red-tailed hawks as the problem children but in wooded areas look for Coopers or Sharp-shinned hawks, both of which are woodland species that prefer birds as prey animals over rodents or rabbits. Or, as you say, could be a bobcat or even a fox. I'd expect more gone if it were. Chickens that size are no more than a snack for a bobcat, and a fox will bury extras for later, given the chance. Regardless, adding the security you're planning should help with either issue. Good luck.

The trees and bushes don't remove the possibility of a hawk; just change the species.  Most of us look at Red-tailed hawks as the problem children but in wooded areas look for Coopers or Sharp-shinned hawks, both of which are woodland species that prefer birds as prey animals over rodents or rabbits.  Or, as you say, could be a bobcat or even a fox.  I'd expect more gone if it were.  Chickens that size are no more than a snack for a bobcat, and a fox will bury extras for later, given the chance.  Regardless, adding the security you're planning should help with either issue.  Good luck.
i didn't realize that. The Coopers in AZ hang out in desert subdivisions, feeding on chickens and bunnies. We had a bunch where I lived.
I'm totally unfamiliar with Sharp-skinned. I'm a prairie girl most of my life. CO! OK and a little of IA. WA state and here are the only wooded places that I've lived.
I know that we have several red tailed hawks on the edges of our woods but I've only seen them hunting in open pastures around our property.

Well the birds are drying along with the kids. The kids seemed to have fun washing their birds for their first show. Now they just gotta keep them that way and not freeze up in front of the judge. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Quote:
Yeah, those big Red-tails need open ground, but the smaller Coopers and Sharp-shinned are more maneuverable. I've moved a bit too, (thank you, Army) and it takes getting used to the new predators and the new habits of predators that you knew well where you used to live. It can get frustrating! Good luck on getting secure...and nice to meet you!

Yeah, those big Red-tails need open ground, but the smaller Coopers and Sharp-shinned are more maneuverable.  I've moved a bit too, (thank you, Army) and it takes getting used to the new predators and the new habits of predators that you knew well where you used to live.  It can get frustrating!  Good luck on getting secure...and nice to meet you!

You,too. I'm retired Army myself. Start my new job at Fort Bragg this week.

What breed are the roo's?

Theyre Japanese bantam silkie crosses. SOOO BEAUTIFUL i wish i could keep them all. Not many people look for crosses so it makes me a little sad i cant find a home... These pictures were taken last week so they look a little different from regrownt of feathers from molting

Back
Top Bottom